130r 4 mix leaking petrol from carb

James McElhone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
i have a stihl 130r 4 mix which i bought recently and i noticed that it is leaking petrol/gas from what looks like the overflow hole on the carb.
When i started it up it ran but then died, no it wont start at all.:thumbdown:
when i pull it to start it the petrol spitts out of that hole across the floor. :mad:
i have cleaned the carb and new air filter fitted, the dealer fitted a new piston and cylinder on it if that helps?
i cannot understand what is wrong with it :confused2:but if anyone can help me that would be great! :biggrin:
Thanks.

ps. the carb is a C1Q.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it is spitting fuel out of the overflow which is exactly what it should do.
However it would have been a lott more civalised if it did this foul dead into the return line to the fuel tank and not on your floor.
Tut, tut, tut where have all the manners gone now days ?

James McElhone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply! Do you know a solution to fix it as i dont want to buy a new carb as they are quite expensive over here.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replace the fuel return line.
There should be two or three tubes going into the fuel tank.
One is long & has the filter on onne end it is obviously he supply line. The other will go about 1/2" into the tank, it is the return line
The third ( if fitted ) wil have a one way valve on it which is the breather.
I donn't have a parts break down for you particular model on hand.
Generally fuel gets sucked up the fuel line into the carb then from the carb to the primer buld then from the bulb back to the tank.
If you dont have a primer bult then it is in one side & out the other.
The fuel pump pumps a lot more fuel than the motor can use so the excess goes back into the tank.

James McElhone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply i have replaced the fuel lines as you said but still no better. It wont start and fuel leaking constantly onto the floor!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok you have got something wrong.
Found a parts breakdown for it and there should be 2 lines coming out of the petrol tank.
one goes to the carb lower right ( fuel inlet ) and the other goes to the primer bulb ( return )
The line on the top of the carb should go to the primer inlet.
Now the primer has a one way valve in it so check that you have the lines the right way around.
There are only 2 fuel lines in the carb so if you are still stuck then slip off the air filter and post some pictures.
If you do not alread have a copy download the Zama Service manual which will make things fairly obvious.http://www.zamacarb.com/pdfs/TechGuide_2007.pdf

James McElhone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok you have got something wrong.
Found a parts breakdown for it and there should be 2 lines coming out of the petrol tank.
one goes to the carb lower right ( fuel inlet ) and the other goes to the primer bulb ( return )
The line on the top of the carb should go to the primer inlet.
Now the primer has a one way valve in it so check that you have the lines the right way around.
There are only 2 fuel lines in the carb so if you are still stuck then slip off the air filter and post some pictures.
If you do not alread have a copy download the Zama Service manual which will make things fairly obvious.http://www.zamacarb.com/pdfs/TechGuide_2007.pdf

thanks again.
my lines are correct but still the same problem.
i dont know whats wrong with it, every thing else seems to be fine.
do you want any pictures posted?
thanks.