13.5 hp briggs

upnorth

Threads
put everything back together. hitched up the battery. cranked the engine without the plug in and it was free to turn. hitched up the plug. choked it, set to fast idle. cranked it and it backfired out of the carb. DAMN!
TRIED IT AGAIN AND IT BACKFIRED AGAIN OUT THE CARB.
That tells me that it is firing when the intake valve is open. So, what do I do now?
Shall I take off the air duct and the valve cover and the plug and watch what opens when the magnets approach the ignition coil?
Nothing should happen because the piston is approaching top dead center when the spark is supposed to fire. [compression stroke]
I guess setting the valves has me confused.

Book says to back off counter clockwise when piston is coming up for compression, then adjust the valves.

nick7ko

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman riding mower tractor. The model is a limited VTS and it is light brownish tan. The battery works fine but the mower wont start. Any ideas? We charged the battery but i dont know what is the problem

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Craftsman riding mower tractor. The model is a limited VTS and it is light brownish tan. The battery works fine but the mower wont start. Any ideas? We charged the battery but i dont know what is the problem

This looks like your first post on this forum. (Welcome) You might have better luck if you start your own thread under Craftsman. You say the battery is fine. The next step would be check your battery cables and connections. Then if then are OK I would check the starter solenoid, and make sure you are getting voltage to it. If you are not getting voltage to the small terminal check the safety switches. Then if that all checks out it might be a bad starter. This is just a quick run down as to what you can check.