10W30 for 2cycle

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I aways mix my gas with 2 cycle oil in two cycle engines and always will. I was talking to a older gentleman in the NY Adriondacks that heats his house with wood. He cuts a lot of his own wood for this. We got talking about oil for his chain saw. He told me when mixes his oil in his gas he always uses 10W30 oil. This must not harm his chain saw so my question is what is the differance in the 2 oils, two cycle and 10W30? I am thinking in a pinch that this would not harm your saw. My guess would be maybe it does not mix as well or maybe more carbon buildup?? The only reason I can think of why he does this is maybe he doesn't know any better because it sure can't cost any more.

Mini Motors

Threads
It's probably easier to get than 2 stroke oil. But 4 stroke oils do not have the "sticky" quality that the 2 stroke oils have. As the oil passes through the bottom of the motor, passed the crank and rod, the oil needs to grab on to these parts, and 2 stroke oils have this sticky quality. I would also think the 2 stroke burns more thoroughly. In a pinch, maybe. Regular diet, no, I wouldn't do it. But then, I only use synthetic.