Export thread

10HP Briggs engine hard to start

D

Dsawyer44

I have a 10HP Briggs and stratton engine on an emergency generator. It is Model #19G412 and has a Walbro 5-4993 carb.
The only way i can get it to start is to put gas in the spark plug hole. Once it starts up, it will start again as long as it is still warm. I have cleaned the carb twice. The choke closes all the way but will not put gas in the cylinder. Also the carb is tight without any vacuum leaks. It has a fuel pump and the tank is above the carb. Any help will be appreciated.

EngineMan

EngineMan

its not getting the rich mixture for start up so has to be a carb problem if the fuel pump works fine when running, did you clean out all the holes in part number 142 when you did the work.

Attachments

Boobala

Boobala

Might be a far reach, ... but does it have a low oil pressure switch, could be defective check oil level try disconnecting. Might want to re-check your carb with this info. too.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/#id_briggs

D

Dsawyer44

Thanks for everyones help. I tried to clean the carb again but couldn't get the jet out. I think i'll buy a new carb because it starts right up if i add fuel in the spark plug hole. There must be a small hole where it suck gas through when the choke is closed.

D

Dsawyer44

its not getting the rich mixture for start up so has to be a carb problem if the fuel pump works fine when running, did you clean out all the holes in part number 142 when you did the work.
Thanks for your help.

D

Dsawyer44

D

Dsawyer44

I have a 10HP Briggs and stratton engine on an emergency generator. It is Model #19G412 and has a Walbro 5-4993 carb.
The only way i can get it to start is to put gas in the spark plug hole. Once it starts up, it will start again as long as it is still warm. I have cleaned the carb twice. The choke closes all the way but will not put gas in the cylinder. Also the carb is tight without any vacuum leaks. It has a fuel pump and the tank is above the carb. Any help will be appreciated.

D

Dsawyer44

Thanks for your help

D

Dsawyer44

Thanks for your help