10 HP Tecumseh TVXL No spark

muckinfonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am working on a 10hp Tecumseh TVXL. it is in a mower. I get no spark from the coil with the kill wire connected. But, I do get spark with the kill wire removed. This wire connects to a tab on the motor along with another wire from the front (probably switch) I am not sure where my next step should be. Should I have ground to the coil? or is that what "kills" the motor? my battery negative grounds to the frame of the mower. I am just not sure what to check next.....I assume I am having a problem in the wiring that leads to the kill wire. Any help will be great thanks.

jeff

Threads
Your assumption is correct. That wire from the coil is just a ground to enable you to shut off your mower. If you have spark with that dissconected, then you havethat ground wire making contact somewhere in the system. Could be a bare spot or one of the safety switches.

jteuban

Threads
Check to make sure the kill or (ground) is not touching the flywheel this can sometimes kills them. This kind of engine has so many problems I actually do not like them, carbs are terrible.