06 Troy bilt will not pull

triad_cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 06 model# 13AN77TG766 rider that will back up but not go forward. While in forward and clutch/ break fully release it would make a popping sound and you can feel it slightly attempting to move or a jumping motion.
I thought by prior experience it would be the the large drive pully and the little locking hub on top of the transmission. I order it and was surprise not to fine any evidence of it slipping. I when ahead and put the new parts on including a new belt on. It still would only move backwards. :thumbdown:
Doing a little hands on research and all I raise the back tires off the ground and check to see if the tires would move. (Mower running, holding seat down in the forward position) They moved, but you can easily stop them at which time it will start the popping noise and with each pop the back tires will jump. IN reverse, it does fine, no noise and not easily stop.
I check the linkage on the forward and reverse level to make sure it was moving correctly and fully and for excessive wear. NO excessive wear was found and it appear to be moving correctly and far enough to engage transmission correctly.
Yesterday, I drop the transmission, took it apart expecting to fine metel shears inside. None was obvious. using my eyes and the tips of my fingers, i visiually inspeacted each gear and carefully ran ny fingers over each gear checking for chips that had been broken off. As of yet I have found nothing.... No evidence.... of anything being broken shear or worn... :eek:
I'm thinking it may be within the drive Shaft assembly, which is the only part of the transmission I havent checked fully. ( it was getting dark and I didnt want to take it apart in the dark and loose parts.
Befor I go any farther

Any ideas of where else to look?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I am assuming this is the gear drive forward/ reverse tranny that mtd uses so much. Two things come to mind. Either the linkage is bent preventing it from fully engaging the forward gear, or the shift fork is bent preventing full engagement. Possible third cause could be the shift collar, forward drive gear notches are worn causing slipping.

triad_cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response..

The linkage "appears" to be straight and moving correctly.... Prior to removing the transmission I did disconnect the linkage at the transmission and manually move the Detent arm (shift fork) to see if the linkage had move it fully into gear... It appear to be moving it fully.... (scratching head)
The detent Arm (shift fork) also appear to be straight and not worn ....

Your thrid suggestion seems to be the most likely cause of the slippage.... I was not able last night to take it apart due to darkness approaching...(didnt want to loose parts)

If the shift collar is worn, I will replace it and the fork....

Will update later today on my findings....

triad_cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the drive assemply apart today and clean the grease off and I found a chip or shear on the clutch collar. I also inspected the bevel gear on that side and seen that the edge showed a signicant amount of wear that was hidden by the grease. The other bevel gear showed some minor wear but not to the point where I would replace it.

However, since I already there I think I will replace both bevel gears and be done with it.... I just have to get in the habit of now of coming to a complete stop...... befor changing directions....:confused2:

triad_cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Repairs complete>
Replace both bevel gears and collar. Fresh Grease in tranny just in case, new drive belts.....
Operating like a new one now.....:biggrin: