Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Ohio
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt

    Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    I have an '04 TroyBilt Pony rider mower. I have replaced the 17 hp engine, belts, battery and starter. It ran fine for several months but gradually got harder and harder to start. I had already disconnected the seat switch. No problem there. It has gotten to the point where it will not start at all. It won't even crank. Nothing. It gets good contact though. Called the local Lawn Mower repair shop. He is full beyond capacity. He suggested I find and bypass the safety switches.

    That's my problem. I have the schematic, and it shows them, I just can't find them....Any help out there would be appreciated......???

  2.  

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    548
    Location
    Texas
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt Super Bronco

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    Before you try to bypass any safety switches, confirm by testing a few things first. Check battery voltage, should be 12.6V. Check if you have power to the small wire on the solenoid when you hold the key in the start position. Your solenoid may have two small wires, one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. You may need an assistant to help you while you make the check. Try jumping the two large wires on the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if the starter cranks the engine. These checks are simple to make and it will determine if you have a safety switch problem or a battery problem. There is a good possibility that a safety switch is defective but sometimes they are difficult to find and test. Report back with your findings and that will better help us determine where to go next.

  4. #3

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Ohio
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    I actually replaced the Solenoid last summer. As I recall, the solenoid the guy sold me may not have been the one it called for however. He told me how to wire it, but.. It could be wired wrong. The act of starting got worse as the summer went along and eventually it just quit. I did have 12.6V on the battery.

    How it started was when I went to start it, it would crank over one partial turn, like it had a bad battery (but it didn't) and then quit. Sometimes when I tried to start it, it would turn over once and quit. If I did this several times, it would eventually start with one crank-over. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't do anything.

    I know the battery is good however as well as the contacts.

    (You know, being in my 70's I remember a time when they didn't have safety switches. Matter of fact, I recall pushin' a reel-type mower with no motor at all..LOL)

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,412
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Mower
    Toro

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    From what you posted LawnRanger has you on the right path. I would add to look for any loose connections. Sounds like something is creating a high draw condition.

  6. #5

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Ohio
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    Thanks for the advice, I will try all suggestions. Hopefully, one of the earlier ones will work. I'll post the results.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    548
    Location
    Texas
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt Super Bronco

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
    I actually replaced the Solenoid last summer. As I recall, the solenoid the guy sold me may not have been the one it called for however. He told me how to wire it, but.. It could be wired wrong. The act of starting got worse as the summer went along and eventually it just quit. I did have 12.6V on the battery.

    How it started was when I went to start it, it would crank over one partial turn, like it had a bad battery (but it didn't) and then quit. Sometimes when I tried to start it, it would turn over once and quit. If I did this several times, it would eventually start with one crank-over. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't do anything.

    I know the battery is good however as well as the contacts.

    (You know, being in my 70's I remember a time when they didn't have safety switches. Matter of fact, I recall pushin' a reel-type mower with no motor at all..LOL)

    You can't rule out anything until it is tested and verified good or defective so I like to start with the simple checks first and get those out of the way. Your problem could be more involved such as valve lash incorrect, automatic compression release not working properly (if equipped). If you know how to perform voltage drop tests, do the tests and report back with your findings. I've seen all kinds of crazy things cause the problem you have and even had one with a bent push rod.

    I'm not quite your age but I remember cutting the lawn with a reel mower, too. I still remember how relieved I was the day my dad came home with a new Briggs & Stratton powered push mower. I can still see the sticker that read "Step here to start" on the deck.

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,412
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Mower
    Toro

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    Just thought of something after reading the post again. Did the solenoid you replaced last year have three or four terminals? Did the one your mechanic gave you have the same number of terminals? If you replaced a four terminal one with a three terminal one and you mounted it in the same location, you will lose ground because it is not mounted properly. Three terminal ones must be mounted to a chassis ground, while four terminal ones just need a good ground wire. Just an idea.

  9. #8

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Ohio
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivets View Post
    Just thought of something after reading the post again. Did the solenoid you replaced last year have three or four terminals? Did the one your mechanic gave you have the same number of terminals? If you replaced a four terminal one with a three terminal one and you mounted it in the same location, you will lose ground because it is not mounted properly. Three terminal ones must be mounted to a chassis ground, while four terminal ones just need a good ground wire. Just an idea.
    You might be on to something, I'll check it tomorrow.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Ohio
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    Well, it looks like you were right about the Solenoid. It has two (2) large posts, and one (1) small one.

    I jumped a short screwdriver cross the two large posts and the engine cranked a couple of times, so I stopped. I DID NOT TRY TO START IT .

    Now, does this indicate that I might have a bad Solenoid? When I jumped the posts, one of the heavy wires (from one of the large posts) got really hot in a second or two.

    It rained real good so, and since I can't find a steering drag link for my Allis Chalmers Model C w/mower deck, I will have to rely on the Pony...I HOPE...:rolleyes: Two acres plus.....

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    548
    Location
    Texas
    Mower
    Troy-Bilt Super Bronco

    Re: Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
    Well, it looks like you were right about the Solenoid. It has two (2) large posts, and one (1) small one.

    I jumped a short screwdriver cross the two large posts and the engine cranked a couple of times, so I stopped. I DID NOT TRY TO START IT .

    Now, does this indicate that I might have a bad Solenoid? When I jumped the posts, one of the heavy wires (from one of the large posts) got really hot in a second or two.

    It rained real good so, and since I can't find a steering drag link for my Allis Chalmers Model C w/mower deck, I will have to rely on the Pony...I HOPE...:rolleyes: Two acres plus.....
    In my first post to you I asked that you check voltage on the small wire going to the solenoid while holding the key in the start position but you have not reported back with your findings on that test. Go back and read my first post to you and perform the tests recommended and report back with your findings. This is a process of elimination and until we eliminate all the possibilities, we won't be able to answer your question if the solenoid is bad or not.

Similar Threads

  1. Troybilt Pony 13AN689G766
    By Alaraven in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 08:27 AM
  2. Quality After Market Safety Switches
    By SeniorCitizen in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM
  3. Safety switches
    By walmel in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
  4. Need assistance locating clutch & deck safety switches on MTD
    By MTD in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM
  5. Where are the safety switches
    By larbec7 in forum Craftsman Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •