Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    mystreba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    426
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Craftsman PGT9000

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertBrown View Post
    Yes you can get and you should have a set.... at lowes or any place that sells tools.
    My generator has the same set up but it has a drain on the carb bowl.
    I suggest you go to walmart and get the B12 Chemtool carb cleaner, best I've found. You know it's good when it burns the cr@pp out of your hand if it gets on it.
    Take some more pics of the carb on the motor and post before you give up. This is probably no big deal. Even if you have to replace the carb you will probably spend less than what the shop will charge.
    At this point I'll have to order the carb overhaul kit, since I'll probably need new gaskets after taking it off/apart. Meantime, I'll try to find the tool.

    Here's a link to the carb parts schematic. Page 4. I have the Nikki.

    http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...8nqxGXBnfBhU7y

    Anyone have any suggestions for retro-fitting a drain into this bowl? It seems to be some kind of cast aluminum.

  2.  

  3. #12

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,413
    Location
    Kansas, Butler county, Just east of DooDah
    Mower
    CTL

    Re: Generator won't start

    Like RobertBrown said... those sockets are available at most place that sell tools... They re spline sockets, come in metric and inch sizes... They are used a lot in setting studs...
    Good luck with the carb. KennyV

  4. #13

    1,000 Post Club
    RobertBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,241
    Location
    Florida
    Mower
    Ford

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by mystreba View Post
    At this point I'll have to order the carb overhaul kit, since I'll probably need new gaskets after taking it off/apart. Meantime, I'll try to find the tool.

    Here's a link to the carb parts schematic. Page 4. I have the Nikki.

    http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...8nqxGXBnfBhU7y

    Anyone have any suggestions for retro-fitting a drain into this bowl? It seems to be some kind of cast aluminum.
    Since you have it apart, look at the bolt that holds the carb bowl on the carb and see if it has ports through it (part#950}. Then look at the ports carefully and see if they are obstructed or partially clogged. This is one way gas gets to the carb.
    If you feel like you need a gasket set by all means buy one but you can probably reuse the ones you have to see if you have the carb fixed, just to see if it will run smoothly. It's important to get to run smooth as it is a generator producing a sine wave at a specific frequency.
    If you have to replace the carb then get the gaskets.

  5. #14

    1,000 Post Club
    BKBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,377
    Location
    Virginia
    Mower
    VENTRAC

    Re: Generator won't start

    The only spring I see in the float bowl goes above the float - around the needle valve.
    It would not make sense to have a spring holding the float up - the gas is supposed to raise the float to shut off the valve.

    [QUOTE=mystreba;18696]
    Here's a link to the carb parts schematic. Page 4. I have the Nikki.
    http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...8nqxGXBnfBhU7yQUOTE]

  6. #15
    mystreba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    426
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Craftsman PGT9000

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by BKBrown View Post
    The only spring I see in the float bowl goes above the float - around the needle valve.
    It would not make sense to have a spring holding the float up - the gas is supposed to raise the float to shut off the valve.
    Yeah, it appears that way in the diagram, but it's a poor rendering of the parts. See attached picture. The spring sits in a recess in the bottom of the float frame. Since the reservoir (bowl) doesn't contact the float frame when bolted in, there is nothing to keep the float frame tight against the carb body/gasket. The spring provides that tension to keep it tight. But I have discovered that you cannot possibly re-attach the bowl unless the carb is turned upside down so the spring stays in place in the recess while you tighten down the bowl. This is PI$$-POOR design! If they'd just bothered to install a drain, you'd never have to remove the bowl to drain it. But in the absence of a drain, if they'd just bothered to mold the recess into the BOWL rather than the float-frame, it could have been re-assembled in-place without having to remove the carburetor.

    At any rate, I went to the hardware store, Home Depot and Lowes looking for "spline" sockets - no deal. I found that a regular 5/16 socket worked though. So I removed the carb, cleaned it, turned it upside down and properly re-attached the bowl. Put the carb back on and she fired right up. No leaks (so far), and all is well. Thanks everyone for the help.

    Again, if anyone has a suggestion for retro-fitting a drain for this cast-aluminum bowl, that'd be fantastic. It's ridiculous that you have to take the carb off (and it is a PITA) in order to drain the old gas out of the carb.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #16

    1,000 Post Club
    BKBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,377
    Location
    Virginia
    Mower
    VENTRAC

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by mystreba View Post
    Again, if anyone has a suggestion for retro-fitting a drain for this cast-aluminum bowl, that'd be fantastic. It's ridiculous that you have to take the carb off (and it IS a PITA) in order to drain the old gas out of the carb.
    OK -- usually parts drawings are more correctly done.

    I'd probably install (if there isn't one) a shut off valve on the gas tank. Get some Marine Formula blue
    Sta-Bil (better for the Ethanol Gas) and the last time before putting it away -- use some of the Sta-Bil -- turn gas tank off -- run engine until it quits so that there isn't much if any gas in the carb. -- then drain the tank and put in new gas next time you use it.

    link to Sta-Bil (Gold Eagle) web site http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product3CC6.aspx

    Drilling and tapping a float bowl and finding a plug that isn't too deep is possible, but not the easiest solution.

  8. #17

    1,000 Post Club
    RobertBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,241
    Location
    Florida
    Mower
    Ford

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by mystreba View Post
    Yeah, it appears that way in the diagram, but it's a poor rendering of the parts. See attached picture. The spring sits in a recess in the bottom of the float frame. Since the reservoir (bowl) doesn't contact the float frame when bolted in, there is nothing to keep the float frame tight against the carb body/gasket. The spring provides that tension to keep it tight. But I have discovered that you cannot possibly re-attach the bowl unless the carb is turned upside down so the spring stays in place in the recess while you tighten down the bowl. This is PI$$-POOR design! If they'd just bothered to install a drain, you'd never have to remove the bowl to drain it. But in the absence of a drain, if they'd just bothered to mold the recess into the BOWL rather than the float-frame, it could have been re-assembled in-place without having to remove the carburetor.

    At any rate, I went to the hardware store, Home Depot and Lowes looking for "spline" sockets - no deal. I found that a regular 5/16 socket worked though. So I removed the carb, cleaned it, turned it upside down and properly re-attached the bowl. Put the carb back on and she fired right up. No leaks (so far), and all is well. Thanks everyone for the help.

    Again, if anyone has a suggestion for retro-fitting a drain for this cast-aluminum bowl, that'd be fantastic. It's ridiculous that you have to take the carb off (and it is a PITA) in order to drain the old gas out of the carb.
    Great! I'm glad you fixed it. Typically I run the gas out of the carb by closing the fuel shut off valve and allowing the engine to stall, won't get all of the gas but it willl get most. Retrofitting a drain is tough. I would goes as far to say it's beyond the realm of possibility. There might be a replacement bowl you could buy that already has a drain, like the one that is on my carb and just swap them out if the diameters are the same. Could be the case, rather then redesign the whole carb body same bowl that fits one will fit another.

  9. #18

    1,000 Post Club
    RobertBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,241
    Location
    Florida
    Mower
    Ford

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by mystreba View Post
    Yeah, it appears that way in the diagram, but it's a poor rendering of the parts. See attached picture. The spring sits in a recess in the bottom of the float frame. Since the reservoir (bowl) doesn't contact the float frame when bolted in, there is nothing to keep the float frame tight against the carb body/gasket. The spring provides that tension to keep it tight. But I have discovered that you cannot possibly re-attach the bowl unless the carb is turned upside down so the spring stays in place in the recess while you tighten down the bowl. This is PI$$-POOR design! If they'd just bothered to install a drain, you'd never have to remove the bowl to drain it. But in the absence of a drain, if they'd just bothered to mold the recess into the BOWL rather than the float-frame, it could have been re-assembled in-place without having to remove the carburetor.

    At any rate, I went to the hardware store, Home Depot and Lowes looking for "spline" sockets - no deal. I found that a regular 5/16 socket worked though. So I removed the carb, cleaned it, turned it upside down and properly re-attached the bowl. Put the carb back on and she fired right up. No leaks (so far), and all is well. Thanks everyone for the help.

    Again, if anyone has a suggestion for retro-fitting a drain for this cast-aluminum bowl, that'd be fantastic. It's ridiculous that you have to take the carb off (and it is a PITA) in order to drain the old gas out of the carb.
    Looks to me like they repalced the extension spring with a compression spring to operate the needle and seat, but it's hard to say. I have not seen one like that.

  10. #19
    mystreba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    426
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Craftsman PGT9000

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertBrown View Post
    Looks to me like they repalced the extension spring with a compression spring to operate the needle and seat, but it's hard to say. I have not seen one like that.
    The spring is not connected in any way to the float. It's sole purpose is to keep the float frame tight to the gasket. The float itself has no spring, but does have a shut-off pin (item 105a in the diagram) that operates separately from the spring.

  11. #20
    mystreba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    426
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Craftsman PGT9000

    Re: Generator won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by BKBrown View Post
    OK -- usually parts drawings are more correctly done.

    I'd probably install (if there isn't one) a shut off valve on the gas tank. Get some Marine Formula blue
    Sta-Bil (better for the Ethanol Gas) and the last time before putting it away -- use some of the Sta-Bil -- turn gas tank off -- run engine until it quits so that there isn't much if any gas in the carb. -- then drain the tank and put in new gas next time you use it.

    link to Sta-Bil (Gold Eagle) web site Deprecated Browser Error

    Drilling and tapping a float bowl and finding a plug that isn't too deep is possible, but not the easiest solution.
    There is a shut-off valve - I'll definitely use it to run the gas out of the system next time.

Similar Threads

  1. HONDA EX650 GENERATOR
    By STEVES in forum Honda Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 05:19 AM
  2. Too big a generator?
    By monica123 in forum Mower & Equipment Operation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 12:21 AM
  3. 3500 watt generator
    By monica123 in forum Mower & Equipment Operation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM
  4. Mower into Generator
    By dria in forum Build-it Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
  5. Are electric start mowers more expensive than pull start mowers?
    By beesnroses32 in forum Mower & Equipment Buying & Pricing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •