Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Mower
    Honda

    Honda stuck valve

    I have a Honda snow blower with a G200 side valve engine and the exhaust valve is stuck open. I tried warming the engine and tapping on the side, but had no luck. I was thinking of spraying some penetrating oil under the valve head. I can see it through the spark plug hole, I can see the intake valve opening and closing and the piston going up and down, and can just see the edge of the exhaust valve which doesn't move.

    Any quick fixes to this? I am contemplating removing the head or the muffler to try to free this up.

    thanks

    Bruce Green
    Massachusetts

  2.  

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    711
    Location
    Kansas
    Mower
    Toro self propelled troybilt bronco

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    Try the penetrating oil. Sometimes the valve has to be freed up by turning on it and pushing. But try the lube first.

  4. #3

    2,500 Post Club
    reynoldston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,390
    Location
    Marion,NY
    Mower
    Ferris, John Deere, Wheel Horse, Toro

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    I would also say try the penetrating oil. If you can get the valve spring cover off easy maybe you can work the valve from there.

  5. #4
    tybilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    326
    Location
    South Carolina
    Mower
    Toro time cutter,Stihl,trimmer saws and edger and blower

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    have you removed the valve cover and inspected the valve retainers?you may have just had one come loose,or a worn or broken valve spring.

  6. #5

    2,500 Post Club
    reynoldston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,390
    Location
    Marion,NY
    Mower
    Ferris, John Deere, Wheel Horse, Toro

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    Quote Originally Posted by tybilly View Post
    have you removed the valve cover and inspected the valve retainers?you may have just had one come loose,or a worn or broken valve spring.
    You have me confused here? Did he not say side valve engine? This tells me that this is a flat head engine without a valve cover? This is why I called it a valve spring cover but then you could still call it a valve cover also. I do own a Honda flat head so I will just have to go give it a better look seeing I am just guessing here.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Mower
    Honda

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    It is a side valve engine and I have not removed the spring cover on the side. My suspicion is that it is not a retainer, but the valve is stuck in the guide. I have been using leaded fuel from the airport because it is very stable, however it may have caused this problem. So my first shot is the penetrating oil and let it seep down the valve stem. Then I am inclined to remove the muffler and perhaps access the stem through the exhaust port and try to free it up that way. Thanks for the ideas.

  8. #7

    2,500 Post Club
    reynoldston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,390
    Location
    Marion,NY
    Mower
    Ferris, John Deere, Wheel Horse, Toro

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    Quote Originally Posted by skybolt31 View Post
    It is a side valve engine and I have not removed the spring cover on the side. My suspicion is that it is not a retainer, but the valve is stuck in the guide. I have been using leaded fuel from the airport because it is very stable, however it may have caused this problem. So my first shot is the penetrating oil and let it seep down the valve stem. Then I am inclined to remove the muffler and perhaps access the stem through the exhaust port and try to free it up that way. Thanks for the ideas.
    If you can get to the valve at all it doesn't take that much with penetrating oil if you can move the valve a small amount.

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Mower
    Honda

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    Quote Originally Posted by reynoldston View Post
    If you can get to the valve at all it doesn't take that much with penetrating oil if you can move the valve a small amount.
    I ended up taking the head off and pushed the valve down. It snapped back down, but then stuck again when I pulled it through. Had to cycle it about 25 times before it was free. Put it back together and it runs fine. I reused the head gasket though, so I should probably get a new one and be ready to change it out.

  10. #9

    2,500 Post Club
    reynoldston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,390
    Location
    Marion,NY
    Mower
    Ferris, John Deere, Wheel Horse, Toro

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    Quote Originally Posted by skybolt31 View Post
    I ended up taking the head off and pushed the valve down. It snapped back down, but then stuck again when I pulled it through. Had to cycle it about 25 times before it was free. Put it back together and it runs fine. I reused the head gasket though, so I should probably get a new one and be ready to change it out.
    Through the years I have used the old head gaskets over many times. When I do use a head gasket over I give it a coat of shellac. I'm going to say you are OK to go.

  11. #10

    1,000 Post Club
    davbell22602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,252
    Location
    Bunker Hill, West Virginia
    Mower
    I own lots of mowers

    Re: Honda stuck valve

    Put new gasket on every time you remove a part that has a gasket on it including head gasket.

Similar Threads

  1. Gas valve on Honda/Keihin carb plugged solid, what to do?
    By kylemorley in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM
  2. Honda HRR216 tda 3 speed wont shift - stuck on 1 speed
    By shouse518 in forum Honda Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 08:59 PM
  3. Honda 2163 TDA; 3 speed selector stuck
    By Zad16 in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM
  4. Broken valve stem on Honda HRR216SDA lawnmower
    By shaf in forum Honda Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM
  5. Question on stuck valve.
    By deltabox888 in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •