Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    repairing ball joint

    I have an 1985 diesel cub cadet (red). The ball joint has broken. It looks so easy to fix, but I'm a woman with very little experience. I was told to remove the cotter pin and loosen the lock nut. I cannot get the nut to loosen. Is this the only nut that needs to be loosen. Also, to loosen is it counter clockwise. I know some machines you turn the opposite. Help!

  2.  

  3. #2

    wjjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,456
    Location
    Tennessee
    Mower
    YS 4500, and DYS 4500, and Bunton 61" ztr

    Re: repairing ball joint

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Lady View Post
    I have an 1985 diesel cub cadet (red). The ball joint has broken. It looks so easy to fix, but I'm a woman with very little experience. I was told to remove the cotter pin and loosen the lock nut. I cannot get the nut to loosen. Is this the only nut that needs to be loosen. Also, to loosen is it counter clockwise. I know some machines you turn the opposite. Help!

    I am not sure it could be left hand threads but most likely it is just siezed up from bieng on there so long. Right tight, left loose is the easy way I remember. If the ball joint has come out the socket is most likely worn out. Sorry I almost forgot. Welcome to the Forum!..

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,240
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Mower
    Toro

    Re: repairing ball joint

    Yes it is counterclockwise. You will need two wrenches to remove, one on top and one underneath. They can be very tight. When you get the nut off, count the number of revalutions it takes to remove the joint from the shaft. You will need to install the new one with the same number of revalutions. New ball joints come in both left and right hand threads. Make sure you get the correct one for you unit. If you need more info post back.

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    76
    Location
    Connecticut
    Mower
    toomany

    Re: repairing ball joint

    I am going to assume you are talking about a 782D? And by ball joint you mean tie rod end, because the front axles on these use king pins. Anyway, to replace the tie rod end it just unscrews lefty loosey off the tie rod. I put a diagram off of a parts website that you can look at. The tire rod end that you are replacing is number 4 and the tie rod that it is unscrewing off of is number 5.

    I do not own a service manual for your tractor so I am making assumptions as to how it all is put together, the best I got was that parts diagram. If it is giving you a hard time getting it off, spray some penetrating oil (wd-40, pb blaster) in the tie rod end threads where it goes over the tire rod. Otherwise I would just say you are probably not using enough force, it is an old tractor that may have some corrosion that will make it not come off nicely. Another thing you can do i heat up the end of the tie rod end with a propane torch to facilitate getting it off.

    Another thing you can do to get more leverage on the wrench is to interlock another wrench onto the end of the one you are using to make it twice as long, or you can put a pipe over it. If you were to round off the space where you put the wrench, use a pipe wrench. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

    dispdiagram.gif

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: repairing ball joint

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyoldtractor View Post
    I am going to assume you are talking about a 782D? And by ball joint you mean tie rod end, because the front axles on these use king pins. Anyway, to replace the tie rod end it just unscrews lefty loosey off the tie rod. I put a diagram off of a parts website that you can look at. The tire rod end that you are replacing is number 4 and the tie rod that it is unscrewing off of is number 5.

    I do not own a service manual for your tractor so I am making assumptions as to how it all is put together, the best I got was that parts diagram. If it is giving you a hard time getting it off, spray some penetrating oil (wd-40, pb blaster) in the tie rod end threads where it goes over the tire rod. Otherwise I would just say you are probably not using enough force, it is an old tractor that may have some corrosion that will make it not come off nicely. Another thing you can do i heat up the end of the tie rod end with a propane torch to facilitate getting it off.

    Another thing you can do to get more leverage on the wrench is to interlock another wrench onto the end of the one you are using to make it twice as long, or you can put a pipe over it. If you were to round off the space where you put the wrench, use a pipe wrench. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

    dispdiagram.gif
    "It is a 782D. After I remove the carter pin, will that part slip off. I have tried to loosen the tie rod, but it seems that I am also loosening the other end of the tie rod. I guess I need to use two wrenches. You have gone to a lot of trouble for me and I appreciate it. Also thanks for the diagram. Would you happen to know the Parts # for this? That may be asking too much!"

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,240
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Mower
    Toro

    Re: repairing ball joint

    Here is a parts manual for your unit. I'm working on finding a service manual for you.

    http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Cub-...782-Diesel.pdf

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,240
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Mower
    Toro

    Re: repairing ball joint

    See if you can down load this service manual. Some people can't. I'll keep looking, can't find the one I want.

    International Ih Cub Cadet Diesel 782 782d Tractor Engine Service Repair Manual Kubota D600b Engine Fuel And Electrical (0*KB) Download

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: repairing ball joint

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivets View Post
    Here is a parts manual for your unit. I'm working on finding a service manual for you.

    http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Cub-...782-Diesel.pdf
    "Thanks for the info. I have all the manuals which came with the mower. they are hard for a woman to understand, but I will keep studying them. thanks for your help!"

  10. #9

    1,000 Post Club
    RobertBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,256
    Location
    Florida
    Mower
    Ford

    Re: repairing ball joint

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Lady View Post
    "It is a 782D. After I remove the carter pin, will that part slip off. I have tried to loosen the tie rod, but it seems that I am also loosening the other end of the tie rod. I guess I need to use two wrenches. You have gone to a lot of trouble for

    me and I appreciate it. Also thanks for the diagram. Would you happen to know the Parts # for this? That may be asking too much!"
    Part #
    723-3000
    Hey Rivets!
    Good Job! Very helpful.
    Crazy Lady
    If you can get the tie rod out, take it to a repair shop and they should be able to get the end off and replace.
    Shouldn't cost too much and might be faster than finding it yourself and repairing.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: repairing ball joint

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivets View Post
    Here is a parts manual for your unit. I'm working on finding a service manual for you.

    http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Cub-...782-Diesel.pdf
    Thanks to all who helped Crazy Lady from Alabama. I will continue to work on the mower. May have to come back for more information. Have a great day!

Similar Threads

  1. Mower deck In need of help repairing idler pulley bolt (pics)
    By Chowder Head in forum Mower & Equipment Operation
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 09:45 AM
  2. Repairs Repairing surface rust LT155...and Seat Suggestion
    By robclt in forum John Deere Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM
  3. ball joint
    By bigjcw in forum Mower & Equipment Operation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 07:45 AM
  4. Drag Link ball joint
    By larrykn in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
  5. U-Joint grease fittings on turf tiger
    By Bobby Boyd in forum Scag Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •