Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Michigan
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?



    My mower has had some forward motion issues for as long as I've owned it. This is just my second season with it.

    Last year the mower would stop moving after running for a while. A few wiggles in the seat and it would start moving again.

    This year has been a little worse. I've had a harder time getting it to go at all. This past weekend I was riding for less than 5 minutes and the forward motion just stopped. No pushing or wiggling could get me going forward or backwards. I let it cool down and still no go.

    The belts are in good shape. I'm guessing that the transmission has gone bad somehow. If that's the case, is it worth fixing on this old machine? Thanks!

  2.  

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1
    Location
    Tennessee
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    Re: My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

    If you put it in the highest gear will it pull? This is what mine was doing and kept getting worse. Finally got where for it to pull itself it would be going too fast to mow efficiently. Purchased a belt from local co-op (the one they said went on it) and didnt help a bit. Left the mower sitting all that year and decided to try it again this year, but I ordered both the belts online using the part numbers from MDT. As I was puting them on I noticed my new belts were much wider than the one I bought locally. One of the belts I had put on by the co-op a year before I started having the puttling problem. Both belts combined being too narrow made it where the one pulley wouldnt spread apart correctly so it would get grip to make it pull.
    When I had given up on the mower the first time I was told it was the transmission, but furtunately it was not the case.

  4. #3

    2,500 Post Club
    reynoldston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,614
    Location
    Marion,NY
    Mower
    Ferris, John Deere, Wheel Horse, Toro

    Re: My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

    The first thing I would check is the wheel drive keys. If you find the transmission is bad I would say the next step would be the local mower salvage yard for a used trans.

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    John Deere

    Re: My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

    I have the same problem with my 10 year old Murray with a hydrostatic transmission. It simply stopped pulling. I've attempted to check fluid level, but can't find a stick or drain plug. I'm not a mechanic and don't know if I should junk it and move on or try to repair it. It's been a real work horse and I'd like to keep it going if I can. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to determine what I should do?

  6. #5

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Michigan
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    Re: My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbradley View Post
    If you put it in the highest gear will it pull? This is what mine was doing and kept getting worse. Finally got where for it to pull itself it would be going too fast to mow efficiently.
    That's exactly what it was doing? For a while it was working at higher speeds. Now it has no pull at all. I'll check the belts closer and look into replacing them. Thanks.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Location
    Virginia
    Mower
    Huffy 5hp broad lawn

    Re: My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

    Quote Originally Posted by usergray View Post


    My mower has had some forward motion issues for as long as I've owned it. This is just my second season with it.

    Last year the mower would stop moving after running for a while. A few wiggles in the seat and it would start moving again.

    This year has been a little worse. I've had a harder time getting it to go at all. This past weekend I was riding for less than 5 minutes and the forward motion just stopped. No pushing or wiggling could get me going forward or backwards. I let it cool down and still no go.

    The belts are in good shape. I'm guessing that the transmission has gone bad somehow. If that's the case, is it worth fixing on this old machine? Thanks!
    Sounds like you put to much oil in the transmission and the oil has messed up your fan belt. There are two shafts sticking out the side of the trans. The oil level should be about a 1/4in from the bottom of the shafts. You should be able to see oil dripping out the shafts. If you do not then you have log grease in the transmission. This grease has dried up clean out the trans and put 90weight oil in it. This is a strat of trouble shooting. Some of. The companies put grease in these trans and this would run dry in a few years. Good luck

  8. #7
    Carscw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,294
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    Toro

    Quote Originally Posted by wcbjr2002 View Post

    Sounds like you put to much oil in the transmission and the oil has messed up your fan belt. There are two shafts sticking out the side of the trans. The oil level should be about a 1/4in from the bottom of the shafts. You should be able to see oil dripping out the shafts. If you do not then you have log grease in the transmission. This grease has dried up clean out the trans and put 90weight oil in it. This is a strat of trouble shooting. Some of. The companies put grease in these trans and this would run dry in a few years. Good luck
    Fan belt?

    (( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

  9. #8

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Location
    Virginia
    Mower
    Huffy 5hp broad lawn

    Re: My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carscw View Post
    Fan belt?

    (( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))
    Yea there is a fan belt under the plate that the transmission sits on. You need to have a way to transfer the engine power to the trans. Most of these models do it this manner

  10. #9
    Carscw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,294
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    Toro

    Quote Originally Posted by wcbjr2002 View Post

    Yea there is a fan belt under the plate that the transmission sits on. You need to have a way to transfer the engine power to the trans. Most of these models do it this manner
    Ok your talking about the drive belt.
    Just have never had a mower with a fan

    (( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

  11. #10

    2,500 Post Club
    reynoldston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,614
    Location
    Marion,NY
    Mower
    Ferris, John Deere, Wheel Horse, Toro

    Re: My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

    Just repaired a JD lawn tractor not moving. Pulley hub striped and it has a fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. CubCadet Riding Mower Wont Reach Full Idle
    By JimT in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 10:15 PM
  2. Craftsman riding lawn mower wont start. Drastically need help.
    By CraftsmanProblems in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 01:39 PM
  3. Repairs Riding Mower wont start again
    By red69viper in forum Craftsman Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM
  4. Ariens riding lawn mower wont move when its cold out
    By maxbenner in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM
  5. Murray Riding Mower wont start.
    By bjohnson85 in forum Murray Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 03:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •