Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Mower
    Simplicity

    Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Greetings,

    I have a Simplicity 1694630 Broadmoor. I replaced the battery this summer because it would not start. The tractor starts and runs fine, throttles up and down well. My problem is when I engage the PTO switch. At that time, the engine shuts down. If I disengage the PTO switch, before the engine stops, it will continue to run.

    This happens with the mower deck on as well as off, so there is no load problems with the the deck.

    I've check the seat switch, and it appears to be working fine. However, I do not have a wiring manual to check the rest of the electrical system out to see what's happening. Can anyone help?

  2.  

  3. #2

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,530
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck 20hp vanguard

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by Mpodes View Post
    Greetings,

    I have a Simplicity 1694630 Broadmoor. I replaced the battery this summer because it would not start. The tractor starts and runs fine, throttles up and down well. My problem is when I engage the PTO switch. At that time, the engine shuts down. If I disengage the PTO switch, before the engine stops, it will continue to run.

    This happens with the mower deck on as well as off, so there is no load problems with the the deck.

    I've check the seat switch, and it appears to be working fine. However, I do not have a wiring manual to check the rest of the electrical system out to see what's happening. Can anyone help?
    have you tried going to simplicity lawn tractor website, click on support, then manuals, then model 1694630, then operators manual and go to troubleshooting section ? hope this helps you out.

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Mower
    Simplicity

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic mark View Post
    have you tried going to simplicity lawn tractor website, click on support, then manuals, then model 1694630, then operators manual and go to troubleshooting section ? hope this helps you out.
    Yeah, the troubleshooting section is less than helpful. What I need is a wiring diagram to check for shorts/opens and bad circuits so I can find the problem. Simplicity doesn't offer that on their site.

  5. #4

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,530
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck 20hp vanguard

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by Mpodes View Post
    Yeah, the troubleshooting section is less than helpful. What I need is a wiring diagram to check for shorts/opens and bad circuits so I can find the problem. Simplicity doesn't offer that on their site.
    e-mail tech support for schematic, if you have 250 hours or more on 1694630 you need to check air gap at clutch per operators manual page 36 on simplicity's website, scroll down to last english operators manual.
    Last edited by mechanic mark; 08-08-2013 at 09:19 PM.

  6. #5

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,530
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck 20hp vanguard

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by Mpodes View Post
    Yeah, the troubleshooting section is less than helpful. What I need is a wiring diagram to check for shorts/opens and bad circuits so I can find the problem. Simplicity doesn't offer that on their site.
    Contacted Briggs & Stratton (Briggs & Stratton owns Simplicity) for wiring diagram for broadmoor tractor, see attached.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  7. #6

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,530
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck 20hp vanguard

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by Mpodes View Post
    Yeah, the troubleshooting section is less than helpful. What I need is a wiring diagram to check for shorts/opens and bad circuits so I can find the problem. Simplicity doesn't offer that on their site.
    I'm enclosing wiring schematic for your 1694630.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Mower
    Simplicity

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic mark View Post
    I'm enclosing wiring schematic for your 1694630.
    Mark, thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for.

  9. #8

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,530
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck 20hp vanguard

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by Mpodes View Post
    Mark, thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for.
    Glad to be of assistance, Thanks

  10. #9

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,530
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck 20hp vanguard

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Thanks for the information.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Mower
    Massey Ferguson

    Re: Engine dies when PTO engaged

    Quote Originally Posted by Mpodes View Post
    Greetings,

    I have a Simplicity 1694630 Broadmoor. I replaced the battery this summer because it would not start. The tractor starts and runs fine, throttles up and down well. My problem is when I engage the PTO switch. At that time, the engine shuts down. If I disengage the PTO switch, before the engine stops, it will continue to run.

    This happens with the mower deck on as well as off, so there is no load problems with the the deck.

    I've check the seat switch, and it appears to be working fine. However, I do not have a wiring manual to check the rest of the electrical system out to see what's happening. Can anyone help?
    The problem is with the reverse pedal switch. It is malfunctioning. Most likely it has to be repositioned or the plug into the switch is not fully seated. A way around it is to hold the RMO switch on as you activated the PTO switch. This will allow the PTO to engage and not stall the engine. Realize though that you are set up to mow in reverse. Unless you fix the reverse pedal switch you will always have to activate the RMO before you activate the PTO.

Similar Threads

  1. Troy-Bilt 12.5 5-Speed. PTO will not stay engaged.
    By AQHACyn in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM
  2. Lt1000 engine dies when blades engaged
    By slydog39 in forum Craftsman Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM
  3. Engine dies when brake released or blades engaged
    By eshippen in forum Craftsman Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM
  4. exmark 35hp kaw zero turn -engine dies when the blades are engaged
    By groundshog in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM
  5. Mower deck Honda 3813 engine dies when mowing deck is engaged???
    By A197OAMX in forum Honda Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •