Weed Eater One (WE261) peice of junk!

jerryp58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is what I did. I bought friction disk Part Number "MTD 05080AP Drive Disc" from Amazon for $15.00. Center hole and mounting holes are off, but center hole needs to be 1 3/8 inches. Bought a step drill that goes up to 1 3/8 at Lowes for $20.00. Using the step drill preferably with a drill press drive it slowly all the way through and clean up any burrs from the hole. Then line the attach bracket in between the original holes and use a 5/16 drill bit to drill them. See before and after pics attached.

Hope this helps!!!
View attachment 21487View attachment 21488View attachment 21489

Hi, new member here. First of all, THANK YOU! for this post. I purchased my WE261 in April 2010. At this point, I believe I have been through all of the common repairs with it. It recently lost reverse and I saw no more adjustment room on the gear lever. So, inspired by your post and figuring it was worth a try versus the $300 WeedEater solution, i purchased an MTD disc and spent about 7 hours yesterday putting it in. Getting the existing disc out was a bear! I had not joined the group until today so I hadn't seen your pictures. Turns out, I installed my disc in the opposite orientation as you; I thought that orientation was closer to the OE style. As different as the two discs were, I was VERY skeptical that the mower would actually run correctly, but a quick test run around the yard and I had my Reverse back, no movement in Neutral (with the OE disc the mower would occassionally still move forward while in Neutral), none of the typical "clatter", and smooth Forward gears. This was with blades engaged or disengaged. Needless to say, I'm thrilled and anxious to cut a lawn (I use the mower for my yard and my daughter's; about 3/4 acre all together).

I do have two questions though:

1. How has this solution been holding up for you?

2. Did you have the same type of OE disc as I did? I'm not sure that they didn't change the transmission design during the production run of these things. My OE disc was a five part design. From the mounting point out it had: (a) a solid back plate, (b) a soft spacer ring, (c) an inner disc, (d) a flexible clutch type band wrapped around the inner disc "c", and (e) an outer disc with the actual friction material that contacted the drive disc; this mated to the inner disc "c" with the clutch band "d" in between the two.

For those of you who used the Snapper disc, I'm curious, was your replacement similar to the MTD or to my OE disc? And, how has the snapper disc been doing for you?

jerryp58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a follow-up here. Having used the MTD disc to replace the OE friction disc, I would recommend the OP's original post of using the Snapper part. The Snapper part didn't make sense to me because of the size of the center hole, but I had not disassembled the OE disc yet. The MTD description made more sense to me at that point. Having pulled apart the OE disc, the Snapper solution makes much more sense and that is what I would recommend trying. As I describe in my previous post, the OE disc was a multi-piece design that had a clutch material built in. The Snapper part I saw at my local Agri-Supply had the clutch band "d" and the outer friction ring "e". Using the MTD part without that clutch effect, the drive chain can get knocked off when you hit a bump. This happened to me in a simple transition from sidewalk to yard. I believe the clutch effect allows enough slippage so that the chain is not jolted off. At any rate, I gave up on my mower after the chain came off and gave it away, so I won't be able to try the Snapper method myself; I just wanted to pass on my experience so that you could make a more informed choice. Again, I recommend trying the Snapper disc.

Last edited:

JRinNc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last edited:

dpjag

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all sorry to revive an old thread BUT, I cannot seem to find that Snapper part number anywhere? Can someone provide a linky to it? I dont wanna junk this POS just yet!

:thumbsup:

is it THIS one by chance??

Drive Disk 240-975 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com NO longer available!

Maybe this one below will work?

Drive Disc / Snapper 7018782SM | Quality Lawn Parts - Aftermarket Parts For Outdoor Power Equipment

Hi i am in the same boat and would like to know about the snapper disc as well!
Could anybody point us in the right direction of which part was bought?

LauraNC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all sorry to revive an old thread BUT, I cannot seem to find that Snapper part number anywhere? Can someone provide a linky to it? I dont wanna junk this POS just yet!

:thumbsup:

is it THIS one by chance??

Drive Disk 240-975 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com NO longer available!

Maybe this one below will work?

Drive Disc / Snapper 7018782SM | Quality Lawn Parts - Aftermarket Parts For Outdoor Power Equipment

You need to search for Stens part 240-975 (which is the same as the "no longer available" part #1603486 on repairclinic.com )

Normf

Threads
Well, my neighbor and I figured out how to fix the friction disc problem on the weed eater one! We used a standard wheel from a Snapper, cut out the middle to fit the assembly for the weed eater and put it back together, lubed everything from front to back and now it wants to pop wheelies!
If I can get a snapper friction drive I could fix this one.....I'm dizzy trying to findthe snapper part that you mentioned
I finally got the part but it is not now available ever!
so how can I get a snapper fd that will fit ?
seems I have to know the outside diameter and the bolt holes spaced to fit the weed eaters 3 bolt part ?
Normf

LauraNC

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I can get a snapper friction drive I could fix this one.....I'm dizzy trying to findthe snapper part that you mentioned
I finally got the part but it is not now available ever!
so how can I get a snapper fd that will fit ?
seems I have to know the outside diameter and the bolt holes spaced to fit the weed eaters 3 bolt part ?
Normf

Google "Stens part 240-975". Many available on ebay. I bought mine from this guy: Stens 240 975 Drive Disk Kit w Liner Replacement for Snapper 7600135YP 23899120338 | eBay But sadly for us, another freakin' frackin' part broke. We finally financed a Husqvarna GT48xlsi through Sheffield Financial (no interest for 48 months); lesser credit will get you 1.5%? for 48 months. Good luck! I hope yours is fixable....just remember to drive gently!

Normf

Threads
well guess that didn't work will try again tomorrow

ep103

Threads
Can Somebody explain to me how to install the 532431374 torsion spring, on the weedeater we261, it is number 23 on the drive system diagram, every time I apply the brake, it pops into the push, tow mode, and it's because I cannot figure out how to properly install that torsion spring it should apply pressure to keep it from doing exactly what it is doing. Thanks Ed

If anyone still needs the snapper friction disc number, let me know and I will get it for you they are still available. through Maple Grove Distributing.