Drag Link ball joint

larrykn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Yard machine riding mower. The drag link popped off the ball joint. How do I fix or replace it? I have removed the ball joint, but can't remove the end off of the drag link. I have loosened the hex jam nut. Does it come off?

Grassbandit

Threads
I have a Yard machine riding mower. The drag link popped off the ball joint. How do I fix or replace it? I have removed the ball joint, but can't remove the end off of the drag link. I have loosened the hex jam nut. Does it come off?

yes you can remove it, which end fell off? the one closer to the engine or to the steering wheel?

larrykn

Forum Newbie
Threads
The one near the right front tire.

Grassbandit

Threads
The one near the right front tire.

able to post pics of the issue?
To fix it you will have to remove the drag link from both ends.
Remove the front and rear ends of the link: you'll need 2 wrenches one holding the nut underneath and another on the top.
Mind you, take safety precautions to ensure the mower wont roll around because obviously you havent got steering.

oldyellr

Threads
You need to buy a new drag link, or ball joint, if they come separate. I've tried to fix those ball joints by peening the socket, but they usually come apart the next time I use the mower.

bbq1959

Forum Newbie
Threads
NAPA sells the ball joint off the shevle. Used to work at one. It is a regular stock part. just take old ball joint with you

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the ball joint popped out on my 84 Murray out on the back 40 of course. To get it to the shop, while in first gear, one drives it by walking along side booting a front tire with his ah ah - BOOT - of course for direction.

A drill bit, just a bit smaller than the hole, made the hole just a BIT deeper. After inserting the ball back in the Bit Deeperr hole, a sharp center punch was used to prick punch around the top edge of the hole. All is well with Murray now and with a little oil in there she'll be good for another 28 years.

fastback

Threads
Here is a fix that will last the life of the tractor if you want to keep the original setup. I'm talking about the drag link with the ball joint swedged in to the hole. Once this system separates it is hard if not impossible to reassemble and expect any type of longevity. What I have done is reassembled the link and the ball joint and cut a washer to fit over the ball shaft then I weld and shape the washer to the link. This repair will last indefinitly, but keep in mind it will not do a lot for keeping the slop out of the front end.