Husqvarna will not crank without carb cleaner

catthead

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna riding mower, model YTH23. The only way I can get it to crank is by taking the air filter off and spraying carb cleaner down the carb. After this, it cranks up and runs great. If I let it sit for more than an hour or so, I have to spray the carb cleaner again to get it started. Can anyone help with my problem?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF....

I think I follow what you are saying... although your terminology is wrong....
I think you are saying, it cranks fine,(cranking is done using the electric starter motor), but the engine will not start unless you spray a flammable liquid directly into the carb...

You are having a fuel delivery problem for sure... If I have interpreted you correctly.
Start at the carb, disconnect the fuel line and check that you get fuel to that point....
:smile:KennyV

catthead

Forum Newbie
Threads
My terminology isn't correct. And you're right. It will crank fine but will not start. It has a fuel pump and I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and gas came out. So I think fuel delivery is ok? Problem with the carb?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Problem with the carb?

Your problem will be at the carburetor...
First place to check is the float & float bowl.
You can see the carb cleaning & check procedures at:
part 1, Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs and Stratton Intek V-twin Two-Barrel Nikki Carburetor - Part 1
part 2, Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs and Stratton Intek V-twin Two-Barrel Nikki Carburetor - Part 2

Before getting into the carb, check the solenoid under the carb to see that it is getting 12 volts with the ignition key in the on position... You should hear/feel it click when you turn the key to on. (that is item #4, pictured in part 1 above.... :smile:KennyV

catthead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I'll check it out this week!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am having the same exact problem. Did you find a fix for this?

This thread is 4 years old. Please start a new thread and include your mower model number and engine model number. We will be happy to help.