Stopped pulling

jeffnang

Threads
While moweing today, I noticed for just a few minuets that I was haveing to push a bit further on the sticks. Then, during my turn I really felt something a miss.

Although I have done repairs on the right side pump recently, the left side seems to be acting up also. It kind of feels like the pumps are not getting fluid. belt is tight, dump valves were cllosed and it's full of fluid.

any help/advice appreciated.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would remove the filter and cut it open to check for metal and other unwanted particles. Also there may be a screen in the suction line(s) to the pumps from the reservoir, check the screens. When you remove the return oil filter, the oil in the reservoir will drain out thru the oil filter adapter so be prepared for this. Let the oil drain and check it for foreign particles. Hydraulic drive oil is 20W-50 engine oil more than likely.
Let us know what you find.
Mad Mackie in CT

jeffnang

Threads
Ok, I cut the filter open and it has quite a bit of gray shiney goo in it.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the oil in the reservoir as bad? This filter is there to capture this stuff in the return flow from the pumps/wheel motors.
Either the system wasn't fully flushed or there is another failure of a system component.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

jeffnang

Threads
Not sure, all the fluid drained out. Was going to change fluid and filter so didn't pay attention.

Do you think I should change filter fill resavor and see what happens.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put on a new filter, refill the system and give it a try. But before you refill the reservoir look inside to see if there is/are screens on the suction fitting/s and if they have any foreign material stuck in the them. Most hydraulic systems of this type have some sort of filter screen installed in the suction to filter out the big chunks from getting sucked into the pumps.
In the parts manuals I see no reference to any screen filter as a separate part. However it may be soldered into the suction fitting and listed as a Scag assembly part number.
Anyway, put on a new filter, fill the system and run it. At this point in time any major component damage if any has already happened.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

jeffnang

Threads
Picked up my filter and oil today. Was told to take lines loose to wheel motors and flush witj diesel . Also he said if the diesdl is not a steady stream when you turn the hub the wheel motor is bad. Ever heard anything like that?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes I have heard of doing this. Both hoses to the wheel motors need to be disconnected from the pump. You may be able to utilize the hoses from the pump to the motor by disconnecting them from the pump and the motor and reposition them out from the motor so they can be put into a container that diesel fuel can be poured into and have the end of each hose below the level of the diesel fuel. You will need to jack up the machine and remove the wheel to do this. Turning the wheel motor will cause it to act like a pump and it will suck up the diesel fuel thru one of the hoses and push it out the other hose. Changing direction of the wheel motor will reverse the flow of the diesel fuel thru the motor. When you determine which hose is the suction then you can lift the other hose out of the diesel fuel and watch the flow out as you turn the wheel motor. Potentially a messy job.:frown::frown:
If the hydraulic hoses are not cooperative enough to do this you may be able to use clear vinyl hose and push it onto the male fittings on the wheel motor and then into a container.
You will need to remove as much diesel fuel as possible from the motor and hoses before reconnecting the system as it will mix into the hydraulic system and thin the oil.
Have fun!!:laughing:
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::smile::laughing:

jeffnang

Threads
Looks like I dodged another bullet. I did have to roposition the hoses and there was a lot of gunk that came out of both motors. After filling with fluid I started mower, ran controls and all seems well. I was thinking about changing filter and fluid again in about 10 hours or so just to make sure the system is clean.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi jeffnang,
Sounds like you had fun!!! I hope that your efforts are fruitfull.
Mad Mackie in CT