yard machine

shaniac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a yard machine, 18.5 B&S. quit last year. Its around a 99 model (when I say quit, it was a starting issue not a motor)Today I changed the oil, gas, plugs, drive belt, new battery, and ignition switch. went to turn the key and nothing. I discovered my tranny will not go into neutral. I had removed the bracket that holds the shifter lever to install the belt, and now it is not going into neutral. I think this might be the problem, at least not cranking over, but not sure. wheels do spin opposite when jacked up.
NOTE- before removing the shifter bracket I did try to remove the rear pully attached to the transmission but no luck, is this where I screwed up? it was in neutral earlier today because I let it roll off the trailer.

Model is 13AS679G062

I also put on new solenoid and checked the fuse next to it. I only found one fuse

Last edited:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Did you loop the drive belt wrong that it is to tight to let the shifter move ?

shaniac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you loop the drive belt wrong that it is to tight to let the shifter move ?

update- I hot-wired it up and got it started. when it started, I was able to get into all gears and it drove fine. However, when i went to turn key to off position it kept running? So at this point I am asking what is causing it not to start or turn off with a new ignition switch and solenoid? I pulled tape off of wire harness looking for a short. I also checked new ignition swith ohm's, its ok. ohm's to solenoid is ok. battery ohm's ok. I swear i checked the fuse its fine too. I looked at the switch to mower deck that gets depressed when mower deck is all the way up. Thanks for replies

ASEAudie

Threads
update- I hot-wired it up and got it started. when it started, I was able to get into all gears and it drove fine. However, when i went to turn key to off position it kept running? So at this point I am asking what is causing it not to start or turn off with a new ignition switch and solenoid? I pulled tape off of wire harness looking for a short. I also checked new ignition swith ohm's, its ok. ohm's to solenoid is ok. battery ohm's ok. I swear i checked the fuse its fine too. I looked at the switch to mower deck that gets depressed when mower deck is all the way up. Thanks for replies

Possible that you purchased the wrong ignition switch.

shaniac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Possible that you purchased the wrong ignition switch.

Sir I don't know you, but after a day and a half of troubleshooting you nailed it, and I am truly greatful! I put the old switch back on and cleaned it, bumped the starter and wallah.....she cranked!!! the parts store gave me a newer switch that fit perfect but didn't work. HAPPY EASTER!!!

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Look on you tube - there is a guy that posted a video of the same problem . Small relay had failed that went between the key and the stator - like 13.00 part. I think his machine was a Murray or Scott's if it helps locate it .