Mower deck '06 42" Craftsman Lawn Tractor Mower Clutch not disengaging.

jackg304

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / '06 42" Craftsman Lawn Tractor Mower Clutch not disengaging.
When I activate the mower with the clutch lever the mower works fine. When I am through & let the clutch lever down it doesn't disengage all at once. The blades slow down gradually & finally stop. I took the clutch spring off the belt pulley & that pulley is lose. It moves side to side a lot. There are 2 pulleys attached to a plate assembly. Do I possibly need to buy the complete assembly? I don't see that the clutch spring is stretched any.

All help will be appreciated.
jack. :frown:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you look at the pivot bracket that the tension pulley mounts on there will be a spot where the brake arm has worn a notch in the bracket. It will be where the right side brake arm contacts the pivot bracket. That notch acts like a detent.

You will need to replace that bracket to correct your problem.

jackg304

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ILENGINE, I will check that out tomorrow. What is the name of that bracket if I have to order it?

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
I've had this happen a LOT. The deck gets full of debris, fine dust, and grass and if you rinse the deck after use, it will also allow those idler pulleys to rust a bit on the bracket.

If you look under there, the idler pulley is pulled to tension by a cable on the dash lever and when you push it in, the cable slacks the but idler pulley remains "stuck" under tension. If you clean out the debris and then hose the pulley bracket pivot point (NOT THE PULLEY - but the bracket pivot point itself!) with KROIL, PB BLASTER or a suitable good penetrating oil, and then continue to work idler pulley swing arm bracket with your hands pulling it in/out to tension and release the belt, it will free up and function properly.

jackg304

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you know if the the idler pulley is supposed to be spring loaded? It is really lose when I work it by hand..
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is suppose to be a small spring that returns the idler arm to its resting position(disengaged) The arm that the tension cable hooks to may have some slop in it due to bushing wear, but most of the time is not a problem. the problem lies where the brake arm contacts the tension arm bracket for the right spindle brake. It wears there and forms a divet that hangs the brake arm