Craftsman kohler won't start, no fuel. Please help?

Dradis

Threads
I was given a craftsman kohler pro 20 HP v-twin last year, which was in mostly working order at the time. I ran it that way for about half a season, and when it started the engine ran strong. One day it started normally, but when I let off the clutch it stalled. This continued and I wasn't able to use it again. It seemed like a ground or safety switch issue of some kind, so I removed all of the factory wiring and switches and installed a simple push button start.

Now the push button is firing the solenoid and starter just fine, but the engine just won't start. It seems like its just not getting fuel. When I put fuel directly in the cylinder and on the plug, it fires and gives a little puff of exhaust, but won't continue to run. This means it is getting a spark, right? I have connected the fuel shutoff solenoid to 12v. It clicked when I connected to 12v so that means it works, right? Just to make sure I understand the fuel cutoff solenoid, with 12v means fuel lines are open, and without 12v, fuel lines are closed, right?

I'm pretty sure there is no fuel pump, how can I verify this? If there is one, how can I wire it?

Sorry to write a novel, but I don't know much about engines and im trying to give enough details. So, is it a fuel problem? Is there something I still need to wire? Anyone know how I can fix it?

A few more details that may help: it has sat since last winter without fuel. Indoors, so no water in the tank. Starter solenoid is brand new since the old one died while I was working on the motor yesterday.

cfmechanics

Threads
It sounds to me like there is a blockage somewhere between your engine and fuel tank, most likely the carb, fuel filter or line. Check to make sure the carb is totally clean, even if you don't think it is the carb clean it out totally and get every bit of dirt out of there. Once you have done that try to start the engine again.
If it still doesn't work check to see what the internals of the fuel line is like, if it is full of dirt of corroding then clean/replace it. Likewise with the fuel filter, if it is dirty then change it. The inline fuel filters are usually changed annually/every service anyway so it wouldn't hurt to replace it.

Once you have done all this put fresh petrol into the fuel tank and try again. Hopefully it will work..

Good luck! :)

Dradis

Threads
Thanks for the reply! The fuel filter was just replaced, and has ran fine with it two or three times. I think I'll skip cleaning the fuel lines and just replace them. They're very old and seem kind of hard and rotted. (as I read what I write, my problem become a little more obvious.)

Now for the dumb noob question. How do I clean the carb?

By the way, I take your response to mean that there is no fuel pump. I hope that's right. One less part to replace.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't have any customers with the Craftsman Kohler but I do have one with a Craftsman B&S. The fuel pump on that mower is built into the carburetor. I don't know if yours is that way or not? All the Kohlers I have have a external vacuum operated fuel pump and some of the older ones have a mechanical fuel pump.

cfmechanics

Threads
I think I'll skip cleaning the fuel lines and just replace them. They're very old and seem kind of hard and rotted.
Yea new lines are very good when the old ones get to the stage of cracking or rotting.

Now for the dumb noob question. How do I clean the carb?
Do you know the engine model it may be handy. Also to clean the carb, remove it from the engine. Get a can or two of carb cleaner and get all the dirt of the outside to start with, that way you won't get any more dirt inside it when you open it up.
Remove the float bowl and needle and clean with carb cleaner all around inside and make sure there isn't any dirt on the needle.

By the way, I take your response to mean that there is no fuel pump. I hope that's right. One less part to replace.
From what you have said it doesn't sound like there is one but there may be that's why the mower model number and engine number may be handy.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most kohlers that size will have a vacuum fuel pump. Does your fuel line go directly to the carb? If not I would be surprised. Have you tried running a short fuel line from a small squeeze bottle to the carb. If this doesn't work you have a carb problem, which means rebuild the carb.

Dradis

Threads
I cant find a model on the mower other thank "kohler pro 20 hp v-twin". The manufacture date is 1999. The engine is a kohler cv20. Thanks for the advice on cleaning the carb. That will be a good project for my next day off.

Also, is this a fuel pump? The right most line comes from the fuel tank, the left goes to the carb, and I can't see where the lower right one goes. I know its really dirty. This thing is a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0148a.jpg
    IMG_0148a.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 22

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes that is the fuel pump. two fuel lines in and out and a vacuum line

Dradis

Threads
Yes that is the fuel pump. two fuel lines in and out and a vacuum line

Thanks, that helps. Since its a vacuum, i guess that means its not a wiring issue. Looks like they're pretty cheap online, so that'll probably get replaced soon enough.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, that is the pump. Take the line off going to the carb and turn the engine over. Might want to attach a piece of hose on first. If no fuel come put when you turn the engine over you found your problem. You might want to pull the plugs to spin the engine as fast as possible and connect a battery charger will also help.