Mower deck Spindle replacement on LTX1142 mower deck

elderone1

Threads
I cracked both spindles on my mower deck (my bad!). The replacements came without threads in the castings.
I need to know if the original cap screws (which I retained) are designed to be self-threading.
They don't match any of my NC taps.
I don't want to force them in and crack the castings (they are $100 each)!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOMEto LMF...
They are meant to use new (self tapping) bolts... They should have been supplied with the replacements... You could drill & tap for standard bolts... but for the price you paid, I would be requesting the hardware.... Usually the old bolts break off when removing... :smile:KennyV

elderone1

Threads
Thank you for that information.
I'll look to see if there were any self-threading cap screws hidden in the packaging. If none, we have a good fastenings store in town, so I'll see if they can match the old self-threading bolts.
I don't trust my ability to properly align my tap, and the assembly pulleys are tightened more than my weeny air impact wrench can remove, making access and holding things in a vise almost impossible.
Cheers

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cracked both spindles on my mower deck (my bad!). The replacements came without threads in the castings.
I need to know if the original cap screws (which I retained) are designed to be self-threading.
They don't match any of my NC taps.
I don't want to force them in and crack the castings (they are $100 each)!

WELCOMEto LMF...
They are meant to use new (self tapping) bolts... They should have been supplied with the replacements... You could drill & tap for standard bolts... but for the price you paid, I would be requesting the hardware.... Usually the old bolts break off when removing... :smile:KennyV

They do use new (self tapping screws) but they are not supplied with the spindles, you'll have to go back to cub cadet and get the right screws for your spindles. I asked the dealer about the same thing when I was charged for 12 self tapping screws when I replaced all my spindles on my CC 44" ZTR.

elderone1

Threads
More good information.
Mower bought from Home Depot. They, of course, have nothing to do with parts or service. Nearest parts dealer is 2 hours away, and he gets parts delivery from Cub Cadet in, say, 2 months.

I'll have to rely on the local fastener specialty store, otherwise spring would come and the grass would riz before I got this thing operating again.
Tx

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
More good information.
Mower bought from Home Depot. They, of course, have nothing to do with parts or service. Nearest parts dealer is 2 hours away, and he gets parts delivery from Cub Cadet in, say, 2 months.

I'll have to rely on the local fastener specialty store, otherwise spring would come and the grass would riz before I got this thing operating again.
Tx

If you can't find anything, let me know. My CC dealer is only 5 miles down the road and I can get them from him and mail the things to you.

Sammy the Red

Threads
More good information.

Tx

That is a good reason to buy from your local dealer, if there is one.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a good reason to buy from your local dealer, if there is one.

I agree but by the sounds he doesn't have a dealer of any type anywhere close.