Words of advise about small engines

Giles

Threads
This is only my personal opinion based on small engine repair over many years.?
When purchasing a Leaf Blower, or String Trimmer, just to name two?notice where the starting cord is located. Many lower priced units have crank bearings on one side of the crank. The other end can have the carburetor attached or it will have a solid plate. An engine with this design is much cheater to manufacture then one with crank bearings on both sides of the crank shaft throw. The good thing about this design is that the rod can simply be removed without pressing the crank apart, as with double bearings.
I mentioned 都tarting cord because with a double bearing crankshaft engine, it is licated on the outside end of the engine. An example would be a string trimmer?start cord will be located on the same end of the engine as the shaft (between engine and shaft) on the lower priced units.
I only have double bearing units because I have found that they vibrate less and thus seldom have an engine oil leak. I have owned a few lower priced units and had good success but the vibration required perodic tightening of all attaching screws.
I am only giving advise based on my experience and others may disagree.:thumbsup:

Mower manic

Threads
This is only my personal opinion based on small engine repair over many years.?
When purchasing a Leaf Blower, or String Trimmer, just to name two?notice where the starting cord is located. Many lower priced units have crank bearings on one side of the crank. The other end can have the carburetor attached or it will have a solid plate. An engine with this design is much cheater to manufacture then one with crank bearings on both sides of the crank shaft throw. The good thing about this design is that the rod can simply be removed without pressing the crank apart, as with double bearings.
I mentioned 都tarting cord because with a double bearing crankshaft engine, it is licated on the outside end of the engine. An example would be a string trimmer?start cord will be located on the same end of the engine as the shaft (between engine and shaft) on the lower priced units.
I only have double bearing units because I have found that they vibrate less and thus seldom have an engine oil leak. I have owned a few lower priced units and had good success but the vibration required perodic tightening of all attaching screws.
I am only giving advise based on my experience and others may disagree.:thumbsup:
That's great advice Giles, Thank you
I have not seen any of the trimmers you describe but I haven't looked for one in over 5 years (mine works great, it's a homelite with a Toro tag).
That's the kind of contribution we need here thanks again.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Very informative thread Giles :thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time to post it :smile:

jenkinsph

Threads
Great post with useful and worthwhile information, something I find lacking on LMF.