Will start but dies in six seconds

induray

Threads
I have a 6.75HP Craftsman self propelled with a Tecumseh engine. The problem. I prime , pull would run good for 6 seconds and die. I have cleaned all the jets, I have replaced a main nozzle tube and its O-ring, replace the primer assembly, the air breather to carb gasket, the fuel bowl to carb gasket. Still does the same. I am about to throw the @#$$% away. Any suggestion???? BTW. I get fuel in the bowl. I have not replace the spark plug.:confused2:

blades

Threads
See my response in the next thread to the toro, same problem

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 6.75HP Craftsman self propelled with a Tecumseh engine. The problem. I prime , pull would run good for 6 seconds and die. I have cleaned all the jets, I have replaced a main nozzle tube and its O-ring, replace the primer assembly, the air breather to carb gasket, the fuel bowl to carb gasket. Still does the same. I am about to throw the @#$$% away. Any suggestion???? BTW. I get fuel in the bowl. I have not replace the spark plug.:confused2:

I'm guessing you need to remove the bolt that holds the carb bowl on and re clean. Unless that is what you are refering to as the main nozzle tube........This bolt is also a jet. Is this what you replaced?
Check out the video that was poted today for the 6.5hp, I think it's quite similar to your engine.

Hope this helps

induray

Threads
Thanks for the response. The nozzle tube is a plastic tube with small orifices the fits in the center of the bowl assembly.It stadns vertically. Its tip extendes to the venturi throat of the carb when the bowl is attached. I'm guessing it draws fuel from the bowl to mix it with the air.

induray

Threads
I saw the video but no it is not the same. I have a plastic bowl with no bolt at the bottom center that serves as a jet. I do have a coarse thread screw that serves as a fuel drain. The manual Id 's it as "fuel drain screw". I did not see any orifices on it. I have a main nozzle tube that inserts to the "emulsion tube" of the body of the bowl. part number is 632545. There is a main nozzle jet inline with the drain plug (PN 640021) but I clean that as well and saw carb cleaner jetting of the nozzle tube when I sprayed the jet. The carb Part number is 640020. You can google it.
The lawnmower number is 143.986700

Thanks for the help, keep it coming

possum

Threads
I have a Tec that is the same. I think somehow it warps as if a person can get it hot it runs a bit longer. Started out it would stop running after bumping it while running, then when going over some rough ground, then would not run without pumping the primer. Over time it just got to the point it will do just what yours does. I had a fellow work it over three times, every time it worked fair but started the same thing within a few mows. I got tired of messing with it, the deck is very poor on mine, and it only side discharges, is clumsy, and the fit is poor for a man my size. I parked it. To be fair, mine was abused a great deal.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
a common problem is the primer system and the gaskets associated with it..........if it the plastic emulsion tube...you need to get the height correct on it [ as high as possible]

induray

Threads
I saw the video but no it is not the same. I have a plastic bowl with no bolt at the bottom center that serves as a jet. I do have a coarse thread screw that serves as a fuel drain. The manual Id 's it as "fuel drain screw". I did not see any orifices on it. I have a main nozzle tube that inserts to the "emulsion tube" of the body of the bowl. part number is 632545. There is a main nozzle jet inline with the drain plug (PN 640021) but I clean that as well and saw carb cleaner jetting of the nozzle tube when I sprayed the jet. The carb Part number is 640020. You can google it.
The lawnmower number is 143.986700

Thanks for the help, keep it coming

No Solutions yet. I am about to toss it!! Pls help!