Snapper Lawn Mower Starting issue??? Help!!!

clemsonsnapper17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a snapper riding lawn mower that i think isnt too old. maybe 2000. I am going to try and post a picture with this post. But anyways, I try and start it and its like the gear that turns the main flywheel just keeps spinning. Well i bought a whole new assembly for it and it has worked like a charm for about 2 weeks but now its doing the same thing again. I can't figure it out at all. It is only an electric start. Please help......

Attachments

• snapper lawn mower starter.jpg
    snapper lawn mower starter.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4
  • snapper mower.jpg
    snapper mower.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

clemsonsnapper17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a snapper riding lawn mower that i think isnt too old. maybe 2000. I am going to try and post a picture with this post. But anyways, I try and start it and its like the gear that turns the main flywheel just keeps spinning. Well i bought a whole new assembly for it and it has worked like a charm for about 2 weeks but now its doing the same thing again. I can't figure it out at all. It is only an electric start. Please help......

The starter will turn but when it gets pressure on it the small fly wheel drops down and doesnt turn the big flywheel. These are brand new parts.........did i put it together wrong?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe I don't know what I am looking at, but I don't see a starter gear? Only a flywheel gear??

clemsonsnapper17

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah, i took it off i just took the picture with it all apart. it seems that the spring to push up the small flywheel isnt doing its job. I can turn the main flywheel itself and it will catch the small flywheel. But when i actually turn the key to start it the starter has so much force that it just turns it so fast that the small flywheel just slides down for some reason........does that sound right?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
yeah, i took it off i just took the picture with it all apart. it seems that the spring to push up the small flywheel isnt doing its job. I can turn the main flywheel itself and it will catch the small flywheel. But when i actually turn the key to start it the starter has so much force that it just turns it so fast that the small flywheel just slides down for some reason........does that sound right?

It's hard to say but I think the spring is supposed to push the small gear down when the starter is not turning. Centrifugal force should bring the gear up when the starter motor turns.
Please photograph the assembly together and all of the parts when dissassmbled.

clemsonsnapper17

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's hard to say but I think the spring is supposed to push the small gear down when the starter is not turning. Centrifugal force should bring the gear up when the starter motor turns.
Please photograph the assembly together and all of the parts when dissassmbled.

Ok i will do so.....thanks for helping me......

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes..Robert is right....maybe you got the wrong parts?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had the same problem working on a neighbor's Snapper.

692024 Drive Clutch on the starter had a broken nylon part inside - some of them have a metal internal parts and others have nylon parts. The parts department just replaced the whole starter (no questions asked) it was about 2 weeks old too. The weren't surprised it was broken. I got the feeling that those Briggs starters got a batch of defective nylon parts inside the Drive clutch.

You can get the whole parts list and diagrams from the Snapper web site - you will need model and serial number of mower and engine.

Last edited: