White smoke....

rowdy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was on mower yesterday..normal opps for a sunday, 20 min into my hour mow job my JD LT155 belched out white smoke and chocked herself out. Let stand 10min, checked oil (looked ok) started her back up and nersed her back to barn with white smoke filling the yard.
Had her for 5 years, mows 1.5 ac a week. change oil twice a year. never had any problems.
Any ideas for a fix to this good ol girl??
Thanks for your time

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Hi
White smoke is normally a sign of a fuel problem could be dirt in the carb. I would start from the fuel tank and clean everything, change the fuel filter and clean the carb thoroughly.
Before re-fueling check the fuel can make sure it is clean inside with no water or dirt in it.

GoToGuy

Threads
My guess is that the engine is a single cylinder Briggs & stratton. If you pull the dip stick, you will most likely find the level is hi & smells like gas. My best advice is to put a new carburetor on it. An overhaul to the carb. may take care of it though.

rowdy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all for the info. Have yet to get to the JD mower fix (15hp B&S) have hay on ground and wether coming. Any advice on were I can order a new carb? Again...Thanks to all..

Duffer72

Threads
We buy any mower- White smoke is indication of burning oil, black smoke is a sign of fuel problem unless the oil is filled with gas which in that case it would be a fuel leaking into the oil problem

webuyanymower.com

Threads
White smoke is not burning oil but if you want to go down that road good luck.:thumbdown:

GoToGuy

Threads
I have been seeing this problem a-lot in my dealership. I just reviewed my notes from this year. 67 customer complaints of "was mowing great when all of a sudden a puff of WHITE smoke and it shut down" all 67 had fuel in the oil and in the cylinder on top of the piston. new carburetor fixed every one of the problems. If Briggs says otherwise, it must be a miss-print.

Duffer72

Threads
Yes it will smoke white if there is gas in the oil as it waters down the oil , if both gas and oil are burning the oil will produce more smoke than the gas, that is what I am saying, if it is purely excess gas it will be black smoke as soon as you add gas to the oil then it will burn oil as it gets past the rings etc and make white smoke. Suprised you replaced all those carbs instead of cleaning them out which would take care of most of them, there will be a few it doesn't help but most it will.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
I really cant be bothered to argue about this. I thought the whole point was to try and help those that ask the question.
All I can tell you is that I have been factory trained by Briggs, Honda, Kawasaki and spent eight years working for Husqvarna.
I joined the forum to help others I don稚 need to do it I can find other things to fill my time so I am going to close my account and leave it to the experts.
Tata.