Make mower go faster, smaller pulley

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spinning a hydraulic pump faster than it is designed will drastically decrease its life (cavitation)... and can actually reduce its out put... Just because it spins faster will not make it move more oil...
Check with the Pump manufacturer for the recommended RPM, lots of things go wrong in a pump that's spun too fast... :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
:eek:Expensive noises to follow..
High performance "lawnmowers" are a great oxymoron, but they can be fun. PLEASE don't just make it go faster without doing the rest of what it takes to do it safely. Steering, brakes, chassis, drivetrain, engine mods, (especially if you are turning faster than stock RPM) etc.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
I have a hydro murray , pulley on it is already like a 3 1/2 - 4" pulley - you couldnt go any smaller anyway.

Id suggest researching on building a modifed tractor , after my first tractor failure, i started looking at different setups , im not saying the second one was any better, i just didnt apply anything i learned tward it - that almost bot me more then one trip to the ER.

My future builds will be a whole lot safer, it might be fun to make a plain tractor fast ( i felt that way at first) , till a crash sends you to the ER- i wised up before that happened.

Now i think back, my first mod was scarey as my second, however the 3rd was a whole lot better by simple changes that actually cost me nothing to do and was still basically stock - lowering is a biggie- lower center of gravity makes for a more stable machine - can do this by smaller wheels, lower profile tires, lower the seat position ( might have to cut the rear fenders) - i bolted my seat right to the frame - front axle bolted tight- no swivel.

The difference was remarkable, it handles so much better sitting lower on the tractor, could throw it into a corner and not worry about flipping it over.