Toro/Tecumseh 6.5 HP - starting problem

trickydickie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro self propellled hand mower that will not run unless you constantly press the primer bulb every 10 seconds to keep it running. It belongs to my 91 year old Father and I beleive he put contaminated gasoline from his weed eater into the tank and when it wouldn't start he just left it sit all summer. I had to empty the tank and the carburetor float bowl before I could get it started. The fuel was very cloudy and looked like it also had water in it. The only way it will run is with starting fluid and constantly pressing the primer bulb.
Will I have to soak and completly rebuild the carburetor or is it possible to just use a spray cleaner.
Fuel will not gravity feed the carburetor.
The mower and engine type is as follows.

Toro GTS
Tecumseh engine - model LEV120 - 6.5 HP
Engine Family 3TPXS 1951 BC
Assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Tricky

crazyoldtractor

Threads
It sounds like the float isn't mowing freely. Or maybe the pin that the float pushes isn't moving freely. spray some carb cleaner at that pin and push it with the finger to make sure it isn't stuck. If that doesn't fix it then maybe the jet(s) have some junk from that bad gas stuck in them. Take them out and spray them with some carb cleaner and push thin wire through the holes to make sure they aren't clogged.