john deere LT 170 won't start

fasteddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got gas to the carb and spark at the plugs will not even try to start even if i spray starting fluid in carb. spins over just fine. I am confused:confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your last post had no fuel... I am going to figure something fixed that problem... ? you didn't post back .
All you need is fuel spark and air... At the proper time and in the proper amount and you will have a running engine. So assuming the spark is adequate and the fuel is also, that only leaves proper air flow....
What brought this problem on? Did it suddenly quit and not start again, or has it been progressively getting harder to start? KennyV

fasteddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your last post had no fuel... I am going to figure something fixed that problem... ? you didn't post back .
All you need is fuel spark and air... At the proper time and in the proper amount and you will have a running engine. So assuming the spark is adequate and the fuel is also, that only leaves proper air flow....
What brought this problem on? Did it suddenly quit and not start again, or has it been progressively getting harder to start? KennyV

It was running just fine, turned it off to take a phone call it would not start again. it was getting fuel. my mistake. what controls the timing on these or how do i check? It seems to have plenty of spark. I am no small engine mechanic but am very mechanically inclined thanks again for any advice.

parapower

Threads
did u by chance hit anything with it. i would pull the flywheel off and see if u sheered the sheer key. sometimes it will run even though it is slightly out of time as it might run hotter. once u shut it off it is out of time just enough to not let it restart.

billkater

Threads
Have you checked to be sure you have compression? It may have stuck a valve open if it was running hot.

What engine is in this mower?

jhwentworth

Threads
I got gas to the carb and spark at the plugs will not even try to start even if i spray starting fluid in carb. spins over just fine. I am confused:confused2:

Your LT170 should have a 16hp Vanguard V-Twin, right?
If neither cylinder is firing I doubt you have compression or valve problems as it would be possible, but unusual for both cylinders to fail.

I'll second what another poster suggested that you check the condition of the mag shear key. If the spark is advanced the engine will "bite" on the starter, and if retarded it will spin over fast but not start.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
fasteddy hasn't logged in since July. He may have figured it out.

Dershell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was wondering if maybe something happened to one of the safety switches. My tractor has one under the seat and I believe linked to the clutch as well.......maybe a short in the wiring or faulty switch?

jhwentworth

Threads
I was wondering if maybe something happened to one of the safety switches. My tractor has one under the seat and I believe linked to the clutch as well.......maybe a short in the wiring or faulty switch?

As was pointed out, the OP hasn't posted since July, so we'll probably never know what his problem was. Safety switches will cause either the starter not to engage, or will kill the ignition. The OPs starter was engaging and he had spark to the plug. Either low compression, or ignition out of time, would seem to be the problem.