Best zero turn mower for under $5000

michigan jason

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 2 acres, and very deep green grass. I actually achieve a good look with my yts-3000 craftsman, however I am looking to get a zero turn beast to get that true professional look. Any thoughts on how much I will need to spend or what brands and where to go? I am in michigan and have a weingartz close to me. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Jason

guest2

Threads
I have 2 acres, and very deep green grass. I actually achieve a good look with my yts-3000 craftsman, however I am looking to get a zero turn beast to get that true professional look. Any thoughts on how much I will need to spend or what brands and where to go? I am in michigan and have a weingartz close to me. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Jason

Look at BadBoy if there pretty good for the money I hear. they are going up $700 next year so if you are going to get one get it now. As always get it a big as you can afford.

michigan jason

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ive been looking at the hustlers, but im guessing they are too expensive....

variousekis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Coming from a similar situation as yours (roughly 2 acres/p.o.s. craftsman) I just bought a Simplicity Champion a few weeks ago, and I love it.

[URL="http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/zero-turn-lawn-mowers/champion/"

I've used it 3 times now, the lawn 'n weeds looks great and I've saved 2+ hours each time; also, the suspension on it really is wonderful coming from the solid axle of the lawn tractor.

G'luck on your search.

michigan jason

Forum Newbie
Threads
Coming from a similar situation as yours (roughly 2 acres/p.o.s. craftsman) I just bought a Simplicity Champion a few weeks ago, and I love it.

[URL="http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/zero-turn-lawn-mowers/champion/"

I've used it 3 times now, the lawn 'n weeds looks great and I've saved 2+ hours each time; also, the suspension on it really is wonderful coming from the solid axle of the lawn tractor.

G'luck on your search.

May I ask what you payed, it is kind of funny becuase when I just got the email saying I had a new reply, I was and actually still am on the simplicity champion page online. That seems like a good deal for the money...depending on how much it runs. My main thing is the full length roller, I want to creat great looking stripes in the lawn, how does that roller work? do you have good dark stripes? can you take a pic?

variousekis

Forum Newbie
Threads
The full length roller isn't for striping, it's more like a full length anti-scalp wheel; and what I paid is probably more than what you'd end up paying lol, nafta be damned, we still have to pay duty etc. Best bet, phone your nearest dealer for a quote and line up a test drive :smile:

earthworm

Threads
For the best "anti-scalp", 2 or 3 18" independent full floating decks, but this would probably be too costly and heavy. It would be interesting to know what the golf course people use..
IMO, the best would be a walk behind in the 30" range unit, with swivel wheels.
However, right now, I do not have one....

Tindal

Threads
Take a look at the husky MZ6128 ZT at 4995.00. I have this machine and its a beast of a mower . It has the hydro gear 3400 drives and a 1/4 inch deck , w/ greasable spindles and front castors. its fast 10 mph . I would buy this again . theres nothing that compairs to it for the price , check it out.

Parkmower

Threads
Tindal said:
Take a look at the husky MZ6128 ZT at 4995.00. I have this machine and its a beast of a mower . It has the hydro gear 3400 drives and a 1/4 inch deck , w/ greasable spindles and front castors. its fast 10 mph . I would buy this again . theres nothing that compairs to it for the price , check it out.

I haven't used this machine but I'm a big fan of Husqvarna ZTs.

robert

Threads
The best riding zt I mowed with was the Ferris/Simplicity with front/rear suspension, if you can deal with a Briggs Intek that is because this is what you will get at the pricepoint you want.

The best value by far that I saw was the Snapper 'Pro'.

Also what I discovered is that the pump/motor drive design was significantly smoother and quieter than the unitized but beware that for some reason all of the entry level machines I saw did not have a cooling fan on the pumps....

If you go unitized you do not want anything less than the ZT 3100 which is an 'entry' level commercial drive with steel cut gears rather than sintered or pressed metal.

Be certain to check the towing capacity of the machine in the event that you have other uses in mind AND buy from a dealer that will take it back in exchange for another type in the event you reach the conclusion I did.