Craftsman 6.5HP smoking &uses oil but actually runs fine.

bluegirl

Threads
  • / Craftsman 6.5HP smoking &uses oil but actually runs fine.
Could a cracked breather gasket cause a mower to use oil and smoke grey/white? It's model # 944.363201 Craftsman with a B&S engine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't see why that would make it smoke. If you are talking about the air cleaner as being the breather I could see if cracked and bypassing the filter you could of wear out the engine and it would smoke. If you are talking about the crankcase breather and if plugged it could cause it to smoke.

bluegirl

Threads
On the parts diagram the part is listed as "breather gasket" Part# 696125. I found it located beneath the muffler. I assume it's supposed to be a rubbery consistency and I found it quite hard and cracked in numerous places. There is evidence of oil leakage stemming from there. Hopefully that's the only area of leakage.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like your crankcase vent. If this is pluged it could cause it to smoke. This tube runs to a plate on the side of the block held on by two small screw. Take this plate off and make sure nothing is pluged. You should also replace that tube. Just being cracked shouldn't cause it to smoke. It sound more like your engine is just worn out.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
if it doent clear up in 20 minutes....you have bad rings:frown:

bluegirl

Threads
So far I have replaced the o-ring on the oil filler tube and the breather gasket. The smoking has decreased, but not totally eliminated. It does seem to smoke more if the mower is running on tilted sideways terrain. I have not changed the oil yet. I have read in other posts where gas enters the oil supply. Could this have happened with a loss of vacuum due to the above faulty parts. I also have read about checking the breather tube and it is on the parts list for my mower, but I do not see anything attached to the breather (at least there are no visible hoses). I do however see a hole where the breather fits over. If that is said breather hose than how the heck do I get at it to check it.
If this does not help than I am forced to check the rings. This is a foreign land to me. Am I going to need parts or am I going to check and/or clean/adjust these rings? Will I need any special tools? I have only the basics in my shop. All girls should own their own socket set. Every time I go to the parts store I am stared at like I have 2 heads oh and that my husband can take it apart for me. Too funny.
Thanks all,
Bluegirl

Attachments

• Craftsman_mower_parts_manual[1].pdf
    2 MB · Views: 6

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
gas in the oil is usually from carbs leaking gas and filling the cylinder....you can disconnect the breather tube from the carb and see if the smoke goes away......the rings are what seal the piston to the cylinder and requires total breakdown of the engine to replace them