How do I remove center bolt of steering gear - troybilt super bronco.

PJDudley

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How do I remove center bolt of steering gear - troybilt super bronco.
I am having a problem removing the steering gear off my Troybilt Super Bronco. I got the front most bolt off,
but can't get my hands or wrench anywhere near the center bolts nut. No room for hands. Very tight space.
Need to get a wrench above the gear and onto the nut. And then I would have the same problem getting the
nut back on with the new gear in place.

PJDudley

benski

Threads
Ugh! You might have to buy some cheap wrenches, and have your way with them with an acetylene torch to shape them like you need to. Alternatively, you might have to take stuff off of or out of your mower to get enough "fightin' room". Do you happen to have a shop manual for your mower?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like you have to bite the bullet... and pull other parts off to gain access:frown:

PJDudley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I doubt if bending a wrench will do it although I had entertained that thought early on.
And no, I have no shop manual. I did get a page from a Cub Cadet manual off the web.
It did explain to remove the PTO shaft. They recommended using an impact wrench
to do so. I have no impact wrench. I did try a breaker bar - no luck. And I did soak it
with penetrating oil before hand.

I did call the local repair shop ( where I purchased the gear ) and they'll do it for around
$45.00. 45 bucks because of that one bolt. I have no way to transport the mower though.
And being on a tight fixed income I can't afford to invest much at a time. My credit card
is maxed out from a recent brake job on my Jeep - but that's another story.

Right now it's on hold until Irene passes.

Thanks for your reply.

PJD