Mushroom removal

Hershey

Threads
This problem pops up from time to time. It used to be really bad, but we finally got a big mushroom to disappear (it was where a removed tree root had been). However, still, little mushrooms pop up and they make me nervous. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

BlueGrass

Threads
Well, mushrooms are a fungus that loves moist, dark places. So try keeping the grass as dry as possible without killing it and keep clear of debris such as leaves, logs or trashcans.

Mickie2

Threads
What about mushrooms make you nervous? I find that they go away after a season after whatever nutrients they've been munching on are fully consumed. Worried they are poisonous?

Hershey

Threads
Yeah, I do worry about mushrooms being poisonous, especially since I have dogs, though I haven't noticed the dogs ever being curious about them. Still, all it takes is one time, so I'm very leery. I've had a couple of seasons without them and then found this line up of six or seven small ones, and that's what got me thinking about them again.

humpty

Threads
I know our dogs have hallucinated more than once as they are all the time eating things out of the yard that they shouldn't. I don't think there's really a way to prevent mushrooms. They just grow where they want to.

Hershey

Threads
It's very frustrating. I'm glad it's not as bad as it used to be. We once had a giant mushroom. I mean that thing was as big as an Oak tree bottom. We finally got rid of that.

jmessing

Threads
I have some real interesting mushroom growths in my yard. The fungus grows in a circle under the grass that gets bigger each year. The fungus has some sort of symbiotic relationship with my grass because my greenest grass is always where the mushrooms bloom out of the lawn. How do I get more mushrooms?

Driller

Threads
We get little mushrooms that pop up in our lawn sometimes but they also seem to die pretty fast. I really do not know why they sprout or why they die so fast. They are very small and our animals don't seem to care about them.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mushrooms are the reproductive part of a fungus, a much bigger part of the organism known as Mcelium. fungus or Mycelium are the largest organisms on the planet. A mushroon is like the flower or fruiting body of the Mycelium and it's called a Sporocarp.
Sporocarps release spores which are like seeds. These spores will produce more sporocarps or mushrooms. If you want more mushrooms, tap vigously on the top of the mushroom cap to release the spores before you pick it. You can see the spores if you tap the cap on or over white paper. Mycolgist's refer to this as a sporeprint.
If you want less or no mushrooms you must provide the mycelium with an environment that it cannot tolerate. Most Mycelium are very sensitive to temperature, moisture and light. If you change one or more of the these you will terminate the mycelium. Copper is an effecive funicide that shuold be used with caution.
Understand that many animals can eat fiungus that will cause a horible death for humans. Not sure about dogs, I have never heard of a dog eating a mushroom, I suspect that a puppy would be much more likely in ingest a mushroom as they will sometimes eat things less apetizing, like dirty socks and dead insects. I have dogs and I have mushrooms and as far as I know the dogs have never eaten one. I did have a dog that decided to catch a toad once and he was halucinating and probably came closer to death than I realized at the time, as this particular species was a cane toad (bufo marinus). These toads are like many in that thier most effective defense mechanism is a toxic secretion.
When it comes to my pets, I am much more concerned with toxic amphibians than mushrooms.

Hershey

Threads
I had a beagle once who caught a frog. It was the one and only time that has happened. We actually don't have many frogs anymore, but now we have squirrels, which we never had until a decade or so ago.

The mushrooms are a pain. I do worry about them but I don't think my dogs have touched them either. Still, I worry. That's why I'd like to get these things gone.