Kawasaki or Kohler????

coltscardinalsfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am getting ready to purchase a new cub cadet LTX 1046 riding tractor lawn mower. Everything else being equal including the price ($1899) would it be better to go with the Kaw 20hp V-twin or the Kohler 23hp V- twin. My yard is flat and under 1 acre. Thanks for any advice....first time riding lawn mower owner.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back in my snowmobile days (60's and 70's) Kawasaki had a run of engines that burned up pistons. From that time on it just give me a bad feeling with Kawasaki. I really do think they got it together and make a top quality engine now. I like kohler better.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

robert

Threads
I was a die hard Kawasaki person until very, very recently. Increasingly dealers, who sell/service multiple brands-Kaw, Kohler, Briggs, Honda, Subaru-are begining to voice deep concerns about Kawasaki's ability to provide replacement parts-many citing incredibly long delays is getting needed parts, two to three weeks was cited as a common wait time.

Also, a surprising numbers of dealers mentioned that Kawasaki has become very selective on which warranty claims they will pay, using consumer neglect or lack of maint as a reason to deny the vast majority of claims.

What I did find interesting is that three people told me that the Company to watch is Subaru since they have made a large investment in a new manufacuring plant for twin engines....

Flip a coin??

bgarrr53

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am getting ready to purchase a new cub cadet LTX 1046 riding tractor lawn mower. Everything else being equal including the price ($1899) would it be better to go with the Kaw 20hp V-twin or the Kohler 23hp V- twin. My yard is flat and under 1 acre. Thanks for any advice....first time riding lawn mower owner.

Well i can tell i have working air cooled engines for 30 plus.Last 6 years was a Kawa dealer never did a warranty claim Kawa is number 1 in my book Mtd products are not.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well i can tell i have working air cooled engines for 30 plus.Last 6 years was a Kawa dealer never did a warranty claim Kawa is number 1 in my book Mtd products are not.

Japanese products have come a long ways, and which out it looks like China is coming up. I guess the big question what is happening to our USA products. We were on top at one time. I never looked into it but what country is MTD made in. I think some people want cheap and others want quality and cheap is catching up with quality. I drive a Toyota car because the car before this was a Chevrolet and that Chevrolet was the worst car I ever owned, it was always giving me problems. I mow with a Ferris made in NY state USA, with a Kohler engine the best mower I ever owned and no problems. Kawasaki or Kohler I would pick Kohler. Where is Kohler made?

Carl in CT

Threads
I have had trouble with Kohlers from the 80s and 90s. I have never had any trouble with Kawasakis from that same time period but I don't know much about the newer ones. I have heard the Kohlers made in China are not good. If I had to choose, I would definitely go with Kawasaki based on past experience.

Black Bart

Threads
My vote is for a Kawasaki.
Since the the quake and tsunami they have had trouble with keeping production going but that is pretty much over now Honda and Toyota had the same problems but all of them are back on track now.

Jetblast

Threads
Kawasaki has a new engine designed to compete with "Big Box Store" mower engines from Kohler and Briggs, so the historic frequency of maintenance comparisons don't apply. The Kawasaki line has always started at "Light Commercial Grade", but that's no longer true.

It's a complete toss-up, given those circumstances, IMO, however Kohler engines have treated me well so if I was in your shoes I'd lean toward that direction. Pure unsubstantiated opinion, but either way, I don't think you're going to jinx yourself as both products should perform well.

robert

Threads
Jet, I think you are correct about Kawasaki, the FX is bullet proof as is the KAI, everything else is in response to cost cutting demands by equipment makers. When I ask about the FS, FR at dealers every single one has said the same thing; ' it has the FX -block'-, yeah right-they didn't cheap out on anything else:laughing: People and dealers will bash the Kohler Courage singles but generally have good things to say about the twins; the Command has and continues to be a solid engine, or at least this is what the majority of posts report...