Briggs & Stratton Coil fails when hot

originalswampfox

Threads
Has anyone had problems with the B&S coils failing when hot?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes...my neighbors 2003 lt1000 17hp briggs...it would heat up and kill the engine...let it cool down and spark came back...it drove me nuts:confused2:

originalswampfox

Threads
Thanks reddragon that seems to be my problem. After i cut for 30-45 min I shut it off to re-fuel and rest for a drink, Will not start until it cools down. I've cleaned the carb, change the spark plug and checked the spark(cold). If i take the plug out(hot) I can spin it fast enough to get a spark but I'm an old man with one lung and don't think I can spin it fast enough hot. Maybe it's time to start repairing the electric start also.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
im curious...what is the mower? and engine hp?

originalswampfox

Threads
Craftsman 6.5 hp quantum walk behind. If you have any other ideas let me know. I have a hard time pulling the rope and looking for a spark at the same time especially with the plug in. When I hold the plug in my hand I can feel the difference hot vs cold, but as I described in earlier thread using this method lately I have developed a stutter in my voice.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
this is a great little shortcut tool....just clamp it to engine ground where you can see it....[best in the dark].....and of course the spark plug pliers....so you dont pull a Ben Franklin:laughing:.....vapor lock comes to mind ....but that wouldnt come out of nowhere ........except...once i worked on a mower that caked grass filled in the cooling fins ..driving the temp. way up...and that cooked all the carb gaskets....keep in touch:wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0623[1].jpg
    IMG_0623[1].jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0624[1].jpg
    IMG_0624[1].jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 15

originalswampfox

Threads
The old man just broke down and bought a spark tester. It looks just like the one in reddragon's picture. I tested my coil cold plenty of spark, cut grass until time to refuel the grass was wet so the engine was plenty hot. Filled it up checked the spark, it had good spark but wouldn't you know it, it cranked first pull. I'll have to wait and try it again later. I'll let you know.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
isnt that just how it goes?!:confused2: