Sharpening chain saw

Zeroturn

Threads
How many times can you use the chain saw before you sharpen it? I've been cutting with my Stihl chain saw for about 2 months (every weekend). I notice it is not cutting as nice as it was when I first bought it. How often would you sharpen the blades? I've got the files here to do it, I just am unsure of how often.

Nimblewill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sometimes you will need to sharpen the chain several times a day, depending of the wood you are cutting. Watch the size of the chips the saw is throwing out, if you notice saw dust and small chips it's way past time to sharpen it. After you sharpen it a few times, don't forget to file down the raker teeth between the cutting teeth. Always file each tooth the same number of strokes, to keep the teeth the same size.
If the chain ever runs into dirt or rocks, it will dull a chain in a hurry!

44carbine

Threads
Do yourself a favor and buy a blade sharpener. I have a Oregon 510A sharpener. It's some of the best money I ever spent. I hate dull blades and if I am doing a lot of sawing I will sharpen my blade daily.

saxman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Oregon 511 and it is great. Northern Tool has a knock off version that is very good also. Buy one and spend lots of time practicing with it to match the angles that a new chan has. Take your time and it will be very worthwhile knowledge to have.

David

Forum Newbie
Threads
I take a file to my saw blade every other fill up it just takes a few minutes if I've cut a lot I will use my electric saw sharpener by harbor freight works great easy to use.

Attachments

• HPIM5626.jpg
    HPIM5626.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM5630.jpg
    HPIM5630.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 22

noma

Threads
Hi Question about your harbor freight chain saw sharpner ,was it hard to get it set up to sharpen blades i have one but have not taken a lot of time to study the book and see how to do it it look like it would take some time to figure it out . Any tricks you have learned from it? thanks

yardiron

Threads
A lot depends on the quality of the chain, type of wood and how much dirt the chain sees.
I have my best luck with Stihl brand chain, on one saw that only cuts 'clean' wood, the chain can last months, on a saw that's felling trees or working close to the ground, where it's likely that there's some dirt or sand in the bark or when cutting hardwood, the blade can last considerably less time. I have both a portable sharpener, as well as an electric sharpener from Harbor Freight. The HF sharpener works fine but I find that I only use that for major resharpening jobs, I can use the portable to touch up a chain that's not real bad.
I also have 10 or 12 spare chains for each saw, and all are kept sharp and ready to use so when working, all I need to do is swap out the chain if one fails to cut properly or gets dull.

Elcid76

Forum Newbie
Threads
An OLD friend taught me this about 35 years ago (wonder what that makes me now....)
I use a hand file on the chain with almost each tank of gas. four or five passes on each tooth. I don't think it takes 5 minutes. I never use anything other than the round file, and maybe once in a while I may take the chain in for a "professional sharpening" (but that is rare)... The chain should throw "chips," any sign of "dust" or "fines" means that you should spend more time with the file (or stop letting other folks use it and just buy another chain). I have never used a "guide" or a grinder, it takes some practice, but IF I can do it, anyone can....

The "best" way to keep the saw sharp is to BUY sons and sons-in-laws nice "stihl-xmas-gifts"....

scoyt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used a chainsaw for about 25 years and I have always used a round file on the teeth. I have never filed down the "drags" or whatever the correct term is. I do have a cheater on the file though. I got it at Wal-Mart. It attaches to the file, and it shows the correct angle you should file. Every time I file it, it cuts like a brand new chain. Unless I get it in the dirt, then it is time to file again. Worst thing in the world for a chainsaw is dirt!