25 HP Kolher Comman (Cub Cadet LT1050) Surging acting like out of gas

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 25 HP Kolher Comman (Cub Cadet LT1050) Surging acting like out of gas
Please poetry's de and spec numbers for your engine this will help us help you with the next step.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fingers are getting too big. I meant please post model and spec numbers

Kristy48229

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a club cadet tractor that keeps stalling and with a little carb spray it gets by a few more minutes
I have replaced gas lines and carb. parts are costly and work and time involved is crazy this has been a ungoing problem for 2 years now the two mechanics i have working on this tractor can't figure it out.. the tractor will run for 15 mins then quit running I really have not one else to ask , but seeing all this response it looks like that club cadets are known for this kind of problem
if anyone has any ideas or has this happened and they fixed the problem please let me know

thanks you so much.

wildbird

Threads
Thanks for the advice guys-

Here's the update

I decided to rule out carb and solenoid problems by tossing some money into this pos tractor. I bought a brand new carb and solenoid (got a good deal on Ebay) threw it on with some new spark plugs replaced the fuel filter and all the fuel lines. The mower ran real good for a while. It still has the same issue though however but it's not nearly as bad (I get about 45 min between stalls with a 5-10 min recovery).

The fact that this helped the issue, but didn't resolve it has got me even more stumped about this-

I thought about over-heating, but that doesn't seem to be an issue- it doesn't seem to be overly hot and the plugs didn't look burnt (if anything they looked a little rich running with black build up most likely from my use of choke to keep it running while dying???)

Do you think a clogged crankcase breather could cause this? Is there any electrical issues?
I think i would replace the fuel pump

Jim027

Forum Newbie
Threads
My LT 1050 has all the symptoms discussed in this post. Has anyone been able to find the fix to the problem? I watched with the hood open this past weekend while it sputtered and died, the fuel filter was full of gas but yet seemed like it was starving for fuel. This was with the choke pulled all the way out.

I have replaced the fuel filter and on Saturday removed the fuel tank to verify nothing was stopping up the outlet to the fuel line.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would focus my attention of the fuel tank vent. When it starts to sputter, loosen the fuel cap and see if that revives it.

Jim027

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I will go back double check but I thought I had the cap loose the last time when it died. I will post my results back to the page with any updates.

Jim027

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled the gas tank off again today to make sure there was not anything stopping up the drain from the tank as well as to make sure there was no trash in there. I made sure nothing was pinching the gas line before putting the fender and seat cover back on the tractor. I replaced the plugs for good measure as well as gave it a shot of carburetor cleaner in the air breather. The gas cap seemed to be clean, I did remove some grass from one of the vents but all others were clear. I filled the tank with fresh ethanol free gas and fired up the mower! It ran well ...... for about 10 minutes and back to the same sputtering and starving for fuel. I pulled the choke out and got a maybe another 30 seconds out of it before it quit running. After this it would crank but not keep running.

Any thoughts on what to try would be appreciated.:confused2:

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you loosen the fuel cap when it started sputtering?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lawn mower diagnosis 101.
Get an in line spark tester or better still a colortune and fit it
Get a can of starter fluid.
Remove air filter, give the mower a shot and try to start it.
If it starts but will only continue running is you keep giving it short shots of starter fluid the you have a fuel problem

If the colortune / spark tester does not flash or stops flashing before the engine starts to die, you have an ignition problem.

If you have a fuel problem the remove the float chamber and replace the cut off solenoid with a bolt/.
Engine runs OK the the solenoid or power supply to it is bad.

If the solenoid checks out OK the get a temporary fuel tank ( pinch it off your push mower )
Hook it directly to your carb and hold it as high as you can above the mower to give you the best head pressure.
Runs OK then you have a fuel pump / fuel line problem
No difference then you have a carb / manifold / valve problem.

Hook up the original fuel line again , start the engine & keep it running with short shots of starter fluid.
With a TRIGGER bottle of water/ Wd40 etc liberally spray all around the intake manifold.
Engine speed changes = air leak

Finally check the governor by starting the engine then hold the throttle open by moving the governor lever with your finger.
Works fine if you hold the lever open = governor problem