Push behind mower

Tikal

Threads
I was wondering how much I can sell this mower I have,(in the pictures) I was thinking 45 to 50 dollars, but I do not know much about the price they sell for, should I sell it for less, or for more?
Also how do I change the subject to small engines?

Attachments

• image-3587547244.png
    image-3587547244.png
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • image-1495735237.png
    image-1495735237.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • image-2825593216.png
    image-2825593216.png
    922.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image-2146721917.png
    image-2146721917.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Edwards saw service

Threads
Depending on the year of this mower and what work you have done to it, I'd say 20 to 30 bucks. Most push mowers (rotaries, what we ope techs call them) are designed to last a homeowner a max of10 years.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's a self propelled, 21 inch cut... so if it starts and operates well, ask $50 and you may have to take $40... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on the year of this mower and what work you have done to it, I'd say 20 to 30 bucks. Most push mowers (rotaries, what we ope techs call them) are designed to last a homeowner a max of10 years.

"Rotaries"....that is a unique term for a mower, makes me think of a Wankel engine, not a push mower.

Edwards saw service

Threads
JDgreen said:
"Rotaries"....that is a unique term for a mower, makes me think of a Wankel engine, not a push mower.

We in the shop use the term rotary because if we say mower it describes all mowers not just push mowers. So we say rotary to describe "push mowers"

Edwards saw service

Threads
We don't work on many homeowners equipment if we do it's rotaries. Our bread and butter are medium to large professional landscaping companies. We even have an account with the University of Penn (ivy league) grounds department. I'm not into working on much homeowner equipment. They try to Jew you out of labor and parts. They want the most work and parts for the minimum price or minimum work like one thing fixed or a blade sharpened. When we do a rotary tube up it consists of new plug. Changed oil. Clean and or rebuild carb. Check or replace flywheel key if broke. Sharpen or replace blade. New starter rope. power wash entire unit and test run. Nothing less. If we do piece work like only one or two of those things the customer will keep brining it back. So we do a full tune up because we can't make much money on piece work. Simple business ethics.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

Last statistics I saw showed that the average consumer push mowers is replaced every 3.5 years not 10 years with a average use of 38 hours over that time span.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last statistics I saw showed that the average consumer push mowers is replaced every 3.5 years not 10 years with a average use of 38 hours over that time span.

That would seem about right...
and the problem that typically puts them in the replace the mower group at such a low hour.... usually a simple carburetor, fuel related issue... :smile:KennyV

Edwards saw service

Threads
KennyV said:
That would seem about right...
and the problem that typically puts them in the replace the mower group at such a low hour.... usually a simple carburetor, fuel related issue... :smile:KennyV

Like I said homeowners don't know what's up with their equipment and wouldn't dream of paying a qualified tech to look at it for something as minor as a carb or flywheel key. They figure they can't fix it so no one else can But a properly maintained residential rotary will last about ten years. But if it wasn't for idiots like that I'd be out of a job so I'm thankful.

Sent from Lawn Mower Forum for iPhone.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sure make a nice part time job for me to repairing homeowners equipment at my home being a retired mechanic. I can keep the labor prices down but the killer for me is parts because I have to pay retail plus run after them and I still want to make money on parts.