snapper rear engine Problem

ACHTUNG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I have a 1969 snapper rear engine that was bought new in the family and babied like you wouldn't believe. the last few years, however, it has been giving me problems. simple to describe: I start the mower with the pull-string. Starts on the 2nd pull every time. if I put it in gear, i can ride around all day in any gear - no problem. Take it out of gear and engage the deck (blade) and it spins, no problem. BUT.....if I put BOTH loads on the engine, it sputters and dies within 10 mins. It just can't handle both loads at once. Tried new plugs, plug wires, he said there was a "new" style of something or other (ignition?) and replaced it with the new kind, all to no avail. Just will not take both loads at once. Ideas??

noma

Threads
Hi Achtung

Welcome aboard hope you enjoy this site as much as i have ,it's very informational to. Sounds like there is something wrong when you try to engage your blade. What engine does this mower have , and size and is it electric switch blade control or tighten a belt or is there a drag in the blades from a bearing worn en out .I think you got a electrical short or there is something dragging or pulling down that engine .Oh hey what part of Minnesota are you from i"m in the south-western corner of the state close by Sioux Fall S D :biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you may be running a tad lean... richen up the fuel mix just a bit..

You can give it a quick (but cheating) test by slightly choking it when you try to mow... If this fixes it, then that will confirm that it's not getting enough fuel... Don't continue to operate it with the choke partially on... it is not good in the long run to do this... :smile:KennyV

Your permanent fix could be as simple as adjusting the float to give it a bit more fuel depth... but try the choke ,or primer bulb, if thats what yours has...

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Snapper Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup: