Im interested in a 48" raptor sd or a husqvarna 52" ztr

m&p_2015

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Im interested in a 48" raptor sd or a husqvarna 52" ztr
Hello all. New guy here. Ive been kicking the idea around of purchasing a zturn before next year. Before I planted pinetrees up the drive way this past winter it took 2 hours to mow 1.75 acres. With the added trees it packs on an added 30 mins. Ive got a CC 50 in cut now. Ive thought about a 48" so I can around the trees better with the chute down. And the price helps too. Has hustler solved the problems they were having with the raptor sd?
The husqy is a 52"deck, I like the layout of the machine and serviceable trannys. Its around 1200.00 mpre than raptor sd. Just concerned with going bigger in the deck area will leave me mowing more.
I guess im just wanting your input on what mower to pursue.
Thanks for the help.

kraky

Threads
I think reliability on the new sd's is fine. I've got an SD 54. I wanted the kaw engine and zt2800 servicable hydro's. I don't know much about the husqy's but think most run Briggs engines?
Anyhow...one thing I've noticed is on close trimming my back tire can catch low hanging branches. One machine I was looking at besides the SD was the ahriens ikon 52. Its deck is offset to the left and should be awesome for trimming lots of trees. It has a really nice operator station, fab deck, runs a kohler, but also runs lighter ezt hydro. The price is right though....about $3750. If you've got a pile of trees it might be worth a look.

Homer1

Threads
For me, I'd need exact model versions and numbers to make the call, but a Hustler compared to a Husqvarna for me, I'd do the Husqvarna. It all really comes down to your requirements and what you want out of the machine. Most people like to try to get as "commercial" as possible for the heavier components and longevity of the machine. If it were a difference between a better engine and better hydros, I'd go with the better of the 2. Raptor's are fine for most home owners, not really downing the brand at all. I just have experience with Husqvarna, and they seem to hold up well. Test ride em and decide what's best for you. The 52 mows well, limited scalping, not really that much of a difference between the 48 and 52 mowing wise.

Dave1954

Threads
I love my mzt52 husky, great mower at a great price and better grade components than most any other brand in the same price range

PVHIII

Threads
Hello all. New guy here. Ive been kicking the idea around of purchasing a zturn before next year. Before I planted pinetrees up the drive way this past winter it took 2 hours to mow 1.75 acres. With the added trees it packs on an added 30 mins. Ive got a CC 50 in cut now. Ive thought about a 48" so I can around the trees better with the chute down. And the price helps too. Has hustler solved the problems they were having with the raptor sd?
The husqy is a 52"deck, I like the layout of the machine and serviceable trannys. Its around 1200.00 mpre than raptor sd. Just concerned with going bigger in the deck area will leave me mowing more.
Thanks for the help.
I'm a "Hustler Guy" so to speak and I love mine but I have owned a Raptor and unless your gonna step up to a Fast Trak ....go with the Husqvarna...you'll be disappointed in that Raptor....there's nothing "super duty" about'm...IMO

PVHIII

Threads
Thanks for the help.

One more thing I would like to add is.. Hustler builds very good commercial mowers.... THE BEST IMO...However when it comes to these residential machines the companies that have been building them for years have a leg up on Hustler....just my opinion.

bigdaddyr

Threads
I have to say that I started with the Hustler Raptor SD 54" and moved to the Fastrak SD which is exactly what I was looking for. Pricey but what I needed. I have a 60" and it's got a great left side trim deck.

To stay in your price range I would consider doing the Husqy. At that level they have some things the Hustler doesn't have. Muffler heat deflector, serviceable hydros to name two that I know of. I agree that they've been doing the homeowner models longer and have worked out some bugs in them that Hustler may not have yet. As for the fabricated deck vs. stamped deck, my 20 year old craftsman tractor has a stamped deck and when the blades are sharp stripes pretty good. IF all you ever cut is your lawn then buy what gives you the most. My trimmer and blower are both Husqvarna and start 2nd or 3rd pull every time. Just like they should with choke. Great machines. Also my favorite chain saws are Husqy.

Rick

PVHIII

Threads
I have to say that I started with the Hustler Raptor SD 54" and moved to the Fastrak SD which is exactly what I was looking for. Pricey but what I needed. I have a 60" and it's got a great left side trim deck.

To stay in your price range I would consider doing the Husqy. At that level they have some things the Hustler doesn't have. Muffler heat deflector, serviceable hydros to name two that I know of. I agree that they've been doing the homeowner models longer and have worked out some bugs in them that Hustler may not have yet. As for the fabricated deck vs. stamped deck, my 20 year old craftsman tractor has a stamped deck and when the blades are sharp stripes pretty good. IF all you ever cut is your lawn then buy what gives you the most. My trimmer and blower are both Husqvarna and start 2nd or 3rd pull every time. Just like they should with choke. Great machines. Also my favorite chain saws are Husqy.

Rick

Did basically the same thing you did...except I started with the standard Raptor and stepped up to a Fast Track SD and same here..very pleased with it and I also agree to much is made of the Fab decks... I've seen some very well made stamped decks..some of the John Deere's for example.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the help.

I don't think you would have any issues with the Hustler Raptor SD, they/ Hustler make a good mower and they back there equipment. The problem with the Hustler Raptor and the Husqvarna is there made to key on the consumer market to boost sales. That's the reason they are sold at Home Depot and Lowes. There price point mowers and you get what you pay for.
If you can afford the commercial mower even a low end commercial then that's what I'd buy. The difference's between the the residential and commercial mowers is day and night.

Last edited:

Freerider

Threads
I have the Raptor SD 48" that I bought from a dealer. I was told that it was an entry level commercial type mower. They showed me a model next to it, I can't remember what it was, that they said would be sold in Home Depot stores. Anyways, I have 18.8 hours so far on it, and I'm well pleased. I can cut my 3 acres with hills and trees in 2 hours and 10 minutes. I'll let you know in a couple of years if she holds up. It seems like a tough machine.