Briggs and Stratton Carburetor Replacement

cdb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Needed to replace Briggs and Stratton carburetor on John Deere Lawn Tractor - float sticking. Purchased replacement carburetor, however, the original used a lever that pushed a rod forward and engaged the choke. When the lever is reversed, the rod disengages and the gate springs back closed. On the replacement part purchased from B&S - #791886, the choke is manually operated.

I contacted Briggs and Stratton and was told that this is the correct replacement part. However, there is not a spring on the replacement unit. Quote "it is up to the customer to create a workaround as we no longer make a specific part for this engine."

Has anyone run into this situation? Briggs and Stratton also said they do not make any adapter kit?

Thank you.

Engine: Briggs and Stratton Model 28Q777 Type 06662E1 Code 98031620. Gravity feed carburetor (no pump)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
will the choke assembly from the old carb fit the new carb.

jcobo

Threads
Engine: Briggs and Stratton Model 28Q777 Type 06662E1 Code 98031620. Gravity feed carburetor (no pump)[/QUOTE]

Recently I had to find a carb or a kit to replace/rebuilt one.

I ran several searches via Google and I hope these links will work for you.

Key words >>>Carburetor exchange

carburetor exchange - Google Search

Key words >>>Carburetor interchange list

carburetor interchange list - Google Search

Key words >>>Carburetor interchange

carburetor interchange - Google Search
View attachment Carburetor.doc

Also look on the top of the carb for a disk with numbers on this will help you identify the carb easier than going by make model etc of the mower.

If you are really brave goggle those numbers with the maker of the carb.

Good Luck

Have Fun

John

Last edited:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
See if John Deere has any parts that will help. If not I guess you have 2 choices, snd the carb back and fix the float or make the new carb work.
If you need help with choice #2, post some pictures before you mount the new carb and maybe we can offer some suggestions. seems like a manual choke might not be a bad thing.....
It seems odd to me that you can not get the replacement part, so... no I have no experience with this problem

cdb

Forum Newbie
Threads
will the choke assembly from the old carb fit the new carb.

Unfortunately, no. It is molded plastic - would break it to remove.

mullins87

Threads
Shoot, I'd just install a manual choke knob and consider myself lucky.....I've always hated those "automatic" chokes.