Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!

boatman

Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
It was my understanding that the Solenoid in the carb was supposed to OPEN the valve to allow fuel flow. ????

Did you actually check out the ignition switch ? It almost sounds like when you start it and let go of the key the ignition stops - Is your ignition switch shorting out the coils when in the run position ?

Does it now run if you spray gas (like with a squirt bottle) into the carb intake - or any longer if you use starting fluid ??

boatman

Threads
It was my understanding that the Solenoid in the carb was supposed to OPEN the valve to allow fuel flow. ????

Did you actually check out the ignition switch ? It almost sounds like when you start it and let go of the key the ignition stops - Is your ignition switch shorting out the coils when in the run position ?

Does it now run if you spray gas (like with a squirt bottle) into the carb intake - or any longer if you use starting fluid ??

It was my understanding the Solenoid shut the fuel supply off when the key is off, I wanted to make sure it was NOT shutting off the fuel supply. I tried just leaving the key engaged, and it does the same thing. I tried to keep it running by spraying starting fluid into the carb, it didn't do a thing. I would think I would notice a difference here. I just pulled the plugs and they have fire the entire time I turn over the engine.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was my understanding the Solenoid shut the fuel supply off when the key is off, I wanted to make sure it was NOT shutting off the fuel supply. I tried just leaving the key engaged, and it does the same thing. I tried to keep it running by spraying starting fluid into the carb, it didn't do a thing. I would think I would notice a difference here. I just pulled the plugs and they have fire the entire time I turn over the engine.

I ask that you examine the hardware the supports the bowl to the carb body. Understand the the carb body has a tube that is surrounded by the the float. This tube is the pickup and i'm not sure how the carb and the bowl go together but it's in this area that old gas and varnish accumulate. Does the fastener that holds the bowl to the carb have provisions for conducting fuel from the bowl to the carb? Is there a conduit in this assembly that could still be obstructed?
Check out this problem I had last year and how I fixed it. The problem was the bolt that holds the bowl to the carb......
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/1157-need-expert-opinion.html

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I understood that the solenoid in the carb closed (normally closed) with key off and opened with key on (so fuel could not flow with key off). With that wire disconnected you would not power (open) the solenoid.

You would get a spark all the time key is in START (with starter turning) position - is the switch grounding out your coil in the RUN (running but not turning starter) position. So is there continuity between the run and off positions of your starter switch.

I commend you for hanging in there on this one -- I might have given up and taken it to a mechanic - before I got so angry that the result would not be pretty ! :eek:

Have you asked the questions on the Kohler web site ?

Kenwurth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Jeepers mate you're really having problems aren't you ... just a suggestion from down-under (NZ - Kiwi land).

Have you had the battery disconnected and then reconnected??? - sounds very much to me like you are cranking the engine the wrong rotation.:confused2:

boatman

Threads
Ok, I am back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I HAD to take a break on this thing, I was beginning to hit it with my head!!!!

I had found the sheared key, still didnt start, I replaced the carburetor with a new one ($200), IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!!????!!!!????
I had cleaned the old one inside and out 4 freaking times!!!!
Anyway, I was so glad to see the thing was running, so I put a for sale sign on it in the front yard (North Texas). Last summer's heat broke records, we never had rain (no grass to mow), it sat for two months with zero calls, so I ended up moving back into the garage for the fall/winter. This is when the problems came back -- after sitting in the hot sun for two months, I was back to square one!!! THE SAME FREAKING THING!!! It will start quickly, then die. Well, I knew what it had to be, a dirty carb. I cleaned the brand new carb (20 min. run time, but sat with 10% ethanol fuel for 2 months in the heat). So, I cleaned it spic and span, it sounded a little different now and thought the key had sheared again, so I ordered a new one and put in yesterday, BACK TO SQUARE ONE!!! It will start, then die, the difference from before, I can spray starting fluid in it, it will run on it, I can spray carb cleaner, it will run on it, It will even run on its own fuel (which was drained and replaced this year). I think I am about to give up and take it in, but know that the mechanic will just start replacing stuff until it starts. I just don't get it, I bought the brand new carb, it ran GREAT, sounded strong, sounded like the day I bought it, it had tons of power, then after sitting it is back to square one. I know I have gotten a ton of help here and thought I would update the forum. If needed, I will be glad to post a video tonight.