Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!

boatman

Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
Have you had the float bowl off ? If not, the best way I know is to take the bowl off and let the float down - the needle valve should come out of the main jet (I am NOT familiar with this carb. so probably someone else knows more about it). It just sounds to me like you are not getting fuel thru the carb. into the cylinders. If you are sure the intake and exhaust vlaves are opening and closing and you get spark -- it seems like it has to be fuel.

Thanks for your suggestions Mr.Brown, I will pull the carb in the morning and open it up and see what I find. I will update tomorrow.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
You do indeed have a 'puzzler' ... even with no fuel, you should run on ether...
You have spark...
you have compression...
your timing is right...
anything flammable into the intake should make it run, even with the carb removed...

Do post back with what you find, you guys have covered everything I can think of...
I'll have to sleep on this one... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
I would check the valve timing.
If an engine backfires through the carb it is firing with the intake valve open

mullins87

Threads
Does this engine have some new electronic ignition similar to an automotive system, or does it have the old style magnetic system that fires both plugs at the same time? If it is an electronic system, I'd bet the plugs are firing out of order. Try switching the plug wires.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your response.
I was thinking an issue w/the carb.
I put a work shop paper towel between the intake and head, turn the engine over and it is bone dry.
I am attaching pics, I was able to keep most the linkage together when pulling the engine. The choke butterfly opens and closes, when I open the choke is when the carb spits/backfires lightly. The throttle appears to be working.

Now that I've seen the carb, I can tell you it looks to rather complicated to me so I can't really give you any more advice. Hopefully somone else has some experience with it. I would not be afraid to disassemble it. But giving advice from here may not get to where you want to be.
If you plan on taking it apart, keep the camera handy so you can refer back for reassembly.
I'm assuming you noticed the ground wire attached to a device between the carb and the intake manifold? Check that thing out and see if it is functional what ever it may be....... It may be a safety shutoff of some kind...

boatman

Threads
I would check the valve timing.
If an engine backfires through the carb it is firing with the intake valve open

I agree, it sounds like timing, but there isnt much you can do, there is NO adjustment, only match the dots on the cam and crank, I have confirmed this three times. I have turned the engine by hand and watched every stroke with the valves and fire all taking place at the right time, I had a car mechanic look and confirm it seems to be right. Stay tuned, I am uploading a video to youtube as we speak.

boatman

Threads
Does this engine have some new electronic ignition similar to an automotive system, or does it have the old style magnetic system that fires both plugs at the same time? If it is an electronic system, I'd bet the plugs are firing out of order. Try switching the plug wires.

It is the old style but, it fires them separately. It is a flywheel on top w/a magnet and seems to be firing right on time when I spin the engine by hand and watching the rockers. I am uploading a video to you tube as we speak, it is taking about 30 minutes. I will update here soon when it is ready.

boatman

Threads
Now that I've seen the carb, I can tell you it looks to rather complicated to me so I can't really give you any more advice. Hopefully somone else has some experience with it. I would not be afraid to disassemble it. But giving advice from here may not get to where you want to be.
If you plan on taking it apart, keep the camera handy so you can refer back for reassembly.
I'm assuming you noticed the ground wire attached to a device between the carb and the intake manifold? Check that thing out and see if it is functional what ever it may be....... It may be a safety shutoff of some kind...

I was able to get the fuel working again, thanks for your suggestions. I think I had two issues, one down and one to go. The spark plugs are now getting wet. When I removed the bowl and float, I sprayed some cleaner into the input of the carb and seems to have cleared the line, now fuel is flowing as before, thanks again. I am uploading a video now, will update you soon when ready.

boatman

Threads
Have you had the float bowl off ? If not, the best way I know is to take the bowl off and let the float down - the needle valve should come out of the main jet (I am NOT familiar with this carb. so probably someone else knows more about it). It just sounds to me like you are not getting fuel thru the carb. into the cylinders. If you are sure the intake and exhaust vlaves are opening and closing and you get spark -- it seems like it has to be fuel.

I removed the bowl today and yes I found there was no fuel from the main connection into the bowl, that problem was resolved by spraying carb cleaner thru it. I now have my fuel back on the spark plugs, they are wet. I did my little shop towel test, placing it between the intake and cylinder, it is wet when I turn the engine over a couple of times (unlike before). I have added new spark plugs (just in case). It trys a little harder now (does a double pop thru the carb). But still not working, nor trying really. I have added a video: YouTube - Tractor Won't Start - Need some advice
It is a live video of how it sounds and I show the old cam.