John Deere LT133 shuts down when brake released

lockside

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower ignition wouldn't work last year. By passed the ingnition by directly applying power to the starter. Mower worked fine all season until the starter failed last fall, luckily at end of season. Just installed new starter. Still bypassing ignition. Started like a dream but as soon as I take my foot off the brake the engine dies. Transmision fine. Blades spin. Not sure where to look next. Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks

mullins87

Threads
You really need to fix that ignition switch or solenoid. Sounds to me like the switch in the seat is bad or at least has a bad connection or short.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I agree about the seat safety switch. That's the first thing I'd check.

noma

Threads
Hay lockside

I also agree that you should get that seat safety switch fixed to someone could get hurt badly from it not being fixed.:thumbdown::thumbdown:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also look at the key switch itself... you have been bypassing it for sometime now because part of it had failed... perhaps the rest of it is going bad...
It's ok to 'temporarily bypass things , but you should eventually repair them... :smile:KennyV

lockside

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your advice...I am placing orders for an ignition switch and will see about the seat switch...I have a new solenoid to go with the new starter...hoping it isn't the wiring itself...guess that's my next step after the switches. Thanks all!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never been one for replace parts until the problem goes away, (I have seen that done at some 'repair' shops) and the customer never realizes it...
But it sounds like part of that switch has been bad for a while...
Get a decent DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) it will help you find exactly where the problem is... :smile:KennyV

lockside

Forum Newbie
Threads
Happy to say that I found the problem...two safety switches...one on the brake and one on the mower engagment lever...did a quick bypass got the lawn mowed...picking up new switches in the morning...still have to tackle the ignition issue...waiting for sunshine and freetime...thanks all!:smile:

Guinness71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Happy to say that I found the problem...two safety switches...one on the brake and one on the mower engagment lever...did a quick bypass got the lawn mowed...picking up new switches in the morning...still have to tackle the ignition issue...waiting for sunshine and freetime...thanks all!:smile:

Good morning! Do you have any reference documents you could share as to where to locate the brake safety switch, and how to bypass both the seat and brake safety switches? I am having the same problem.

Thank you.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you found bad safety switches then your ignition may be ok. Would recheck ignition switch before replacing it because the safety switches go through the ignition switch to start the engine.:thumbsup: