Lawn trimmer and edger

Partsman41953

Threads
Hello,

I am in the market for a new trimmer and edger. I have a normal size residential lawn with about a half acre in my back yard and around the same in my front yard. It normally takes my around a half hour to do my trimming. Edging wise I have been trying to do it with my old trimmer so it is time it had a professional edge since I put down a Zoysia lawn last year. Anyhow, my old Black and Decker cordless just bit the dust and what I have now is a Worx which I feel is a piece of junk but for now get the trimming down.

I am looking for an inexpensive trimmer and edger but would like to get an edger with a blade. I was looking at some gas trimmers with an edger attachment and saw the Troy Bilt from Lowes and the Ryobi but the more reviews I read the more I feel I might be getting a headache if I purchased them.

I did got to my local lawn equipment dealer and he suggested the Stihl trimmer and edger which is on sale now but not sure if I want to drop $300 on this right now.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Glenn

mowerman05

Threads
$300.00 might seem like a lot right now, but when you go to use them and they start right up and run nice you will be glad you spent the money on something other than a junk set. Mine have never failed me in a lot of years of use. Good luck in whatever you decide to purchase.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello,

I am in the market for a new trimmer and edger. I have a normal size residential lawn with about a half acre in my back yard and around the same in my front yard. It normally takes my around a half hour to do my trimming. Edging wise I have been trying to do it with my old trimmer so it is time it had a professional edge since I put down a Zoysia lawn last year. Anyhow, my old Black and Decker cordless just bit the dust and what I have now is a Worx which I feel is a piece of junk but for now get the trimming down.

I am looking for an inexpensive trimmer and edger but would like to get an edger with a blade. I was looking at some gas trimmers with an edger attachment and saw the Troy Bilt from Lowes and the Ryobi but the more reviews I read the more I feel I might be getting a headache if I purchased them.

I did got to my local lawn equipment dealer and he suggested the Stihl trimmer and edger which is on sale now but not sure if I want to drop $300 on this right now.

Thanks,

Glenn

Like mowerman05 said $300.00 might seem like a lot right now or up front but it will be worth it in the long run. Buy the Stihl. What Stihl models are you buying, I ask cause if your buying them both for $300 that a good price.

dhd

Threads
Hello,

Thanks,

Glenn

The Echo trimmers have a really good reputation.
I have the PAS 230 with some additional attachments and it's been super, I love the flexibility, being able to change out different attachments.

Echo offers a PAS 225VP, it includes the trimmer and edger attachment, which seems like a really good deal, plus you can add on other attachments in the future.
It's got a 5 year warranty too.

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series/PAS-225VP

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Echo trimmers have a really good reputation.
I have the PAS 230 with some additional attachments and it's been super, I love the flexibility, being able to change out different attachments.

Echo offers a PAS 225VP, it includes the trimmer and edger attachment, which seems like a really good deal, plus you can add on other attachments in the future.
It's got a 5 year warranty too.

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series/PAS-225VP

You can get the same thing from Stihl, it's called the Homeowner KombiSystem, The motor is something like $200 and they have a dozen or more attachments you can buy and the prices vary depending on the attachments you want or need. I personally believe your giving up a lot of performance for flexibility and most of those systems are on the heavy side and the same size Stihl is actually cheaper to buy than the Echo

chobbs1957

Threads
I thought I wanted a Kombi system, but am sure glad I passed on it! There are too many times I switch and switch again between edging and running line trimmer.

I first bought the Stihl FS55R trimmer in '10, wanting the power and service I can get from proven, popular Stihl units. I wanted an edger bad, but, didn't really think - my idea, don't know for sure - that I could get the torque and power from the Kombi unit that I get from the whole shaft. I used it to edge, too, the first season, adding a brush blade and combination of slotted light gauge angle iron and a caster bolted to the shaft with a U-clamp to make it a little easier to run. I have a lot of sidewalk that I edge at my church twice a quarter and it is tiring.

In '11 I got FC56C Edger, advertised as the top of the line homeowner grade that Stihl offers. This unit has the Easy-Start, and the name fits, too. It has lots of power and gets the job done faster and better. Our church grass is also Zoysia and thick, and I usually edge then grab the trimmer to "fluff" out and finish the cut to make it easier to finish blowing the damp, green, heavy clippings from the sidewalk.

If I had been thinking, yes, I would have bought the Kombi system back in '10, but, as it's worked out, I am sure glad now that I have separate units. My 57 year old body gets tired of running one after about 45 minutes, so I grab the other and run it a little while to work a different set of muscles, easy to do. When I have a helper, I can run one while he runs the other, not an option with the Kombi.

Be sure to get the shoulder strap. My dealer had plenty of these lying around, and gave me a couple of extra.

As for brands, I think Stihl is worth it. It's a plus that they are not offered in discount or big box stores to me. The service and support you get before and after the sale from a dedicated lawn equipment professional are of great value to me. However, I see a lot of popular opinions that the Echo brand is also top of the line, so it would easily be my second choice.

Hello,

Thanks,

Glenn