New member here with an old problem

Djbradles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello from Massachusetts!

I'm an incessant tinkerer by nature who diy's pretty much anything that doesn't require a three person crew. I have a John Deere Js60 that's been giving me some trouble.

YouTube vid link has pretty much all the details : http://youtu.be/9qa-KVvPlkI

Timg2003

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like engine is smoking quite a bit, maybe due to motor oil being WAY too dirty. Is that the case?
Have you changed the oil yet? If it's really black, replace it with new oil (use an oil vacuum, it makes it
really easy, available at auto parts). Other than that, the only other problems really obvious in the video
are that the wheel needs to be lowered to be level with the other 3, and you need to move the mower
over to some grassy area & let it mow.

Djbradles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply!

New oil and the bricks that it's sitting on are very undulating so that's why the front right wheel is rollin. It mows grass fine but at times runs rich and of course once very hot will not start (at least before I did the maintenance). The engine knock is quite apparent in the video, no? The issue of the smoking intermittantly has me stumped and after a job of mowing gives a bit of a headache that I'd like to remedy.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if oil is getting into the carb, but I would say you have problem with the piston ring(s) or hand gasket, only way of knowing would be to take it apart.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you engine man. I appreciate your contributions.

Djbradles

Forum Newbie
Threads
The carb was very clean and has never been soaked with oil. Sorry I'm not sure what the hand gasket is(never heard that term before). Do you mean the o-ring for the exhaust side or the air cleaner side of the carb? Just for info if there was oil in the carb would that indicate blowby or another issue? If there were worn rings and blowby why would the smoke be intermittant? I assume oil would be going one way, only out the exhaust.....

Despite these questions I guess taking the engine apart is the only way to be sure.

Last edited:

Mikel1

Threads
I believe he means head gasket.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
IMHO "dirty oil" by itself may only mean the oil is doing its job of suspending particles and byproducts to be drained away at proper intrervals. Modern oils can be used while in an "unclear" appearance...IF THE ENGINE HAS BEEN MAINTAINED WITH REGULAR DRAINS, OIL FILTERS AND AIR FILTERS. Besides head gasket it is possible for intermittent smoke to be from worn valve guides and or valve guide seals. Smoke on startup only after engine shutdown from wide open throttle suggests guides. Smoke on load , rings/bore.:2cents:

Djbradles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the oil was newly filled as of the first time I ran it before the video. Because of the age I suspect worn engine components as outline already such as the rings/bore and/or valve guides and seals. Thanks for the input guys!