Poulan Pro Engine Replacement

thetragichippy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have an older Poulan(Silver) 38" cut with 14.5HP B&S motor that runs great but transmission is stuck in 3rd.....no reverse

Someone just gave me a newer Poulan Pro 42" cut with 18HP B&S motor with auto trans. The motor is froze(he said ran with no oil), but everything else works fine.....including the transmission.

So, will it be a bolt on replacement to replace the 18HP with my 14.5? The two chassis at first glance looks identical.

Not sure if I should of posted here or Poulan forum.....

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6248.JPG
    IMG_6248.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6247.JPG
    IMG_6247.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 5

Rokon

Threads
I'll give you a general answer.

Yes, the BS 14.5 should bolt in where the BS 18 is now. Manufacturers have multiple holes in the frame deck to accommodate multiple engines.

The only question is the ability to use the existing drive pulley from the 18 to the 14.5. Also the wiring plug-ins.

thetragichippy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case.

When the guy offered it to me he said motor went out(no oil) but when I picked it up I noticed in neutral the rear wheels are locked. I have not had time to fool with it yet, but the gear shift does move freely and in the rear the brake lock was not on....I wonder if the transmission could lock up and shut motor off and him think he blew the motor?

I've got some work to do Sunday.