husqvarna 125L broken bolt, fix/replace crank case :(

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / husqvarna 125L broken bolt, fix/replace crank case :(
If it can be center punched it can be drilled. Go buy a new drill bit or have me sharpen the ones you have.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Berts, Yikes, you are frustrated and I can see why . So this forum continues to produce insight beyond smokin, broken down riders...With only impressions gained from reading bits and pieces my former view of Australia was that of independent , self reliant , and armed (machine tools) population. That "distortion" due to companies like Whiteline and The GM division Holden which was seen here as "free" to produce e.g., superior Chevrolet chassis etc. I know your country is loaded with motor sport enthusiasts. Anyway, if I can assist you in some way with machine bits let me know (even PM). It must be especially frustrating for you and others when affordable mills and lathes are produced in China and Taiwan, your "neighbors."

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it can be center punched it can be drilled. Go buy a new drill bit or have me sharpen the ones you have.

A final thought on center punching. It is machine shop practice to "move" a misplaced center punch cone, however it is usually after the initial prick punch with easy access. After noting, for instance, a hole is off center the punch is angled toward the center desired and struck again. While this is not alway successful it does work on softer material, aluminum and mild steel. The case under discussion may not be suitable without a new level top as it is a hardened shaft further hardened by center punching already. IMHO and for whatever small worth....

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

How about that to sharpen a drill bit is a skill. The smaller bits is where I have more problems anymore. Eye sight not what it use to be. Myself I just use a grinder but I have seen a bit sharpener called the drill doctor, don't know how they work? I good sharp tools makes a world of different and I really find this in my wood working tools.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Berts, Yikes, you are frustrated and I can see why . So this forum continues to produce insight beyond smokin, broken down riders...With only impressions gained from reading bits and pieces my former view of Australia was that of independent , self reliant , and armed (machine tools) population. That "distortion" due to companies like Whiteline and The GM division Holden which was seen here as "free" to produce e.g., superior Chevrolet chassis etc. I know your country is loaded with motor sport enthusiasts. Anyway, if I can assist you in some way with machine bits let me know (even PM). It must be especially frustrating for you and others when affordable mills and lathes are produced in China and Taiwan, your "neighbors."

Yes, we used to have cheap electricity, cheap minerals & a well educated work force.
However the governments have all been ultra lazy and untill the current one happy to "buy" jobs by paying foreign companies to employ locals ( Ford & GM perfect examples )
Eventually the cheap money ran out so subsidies had to be cut back and the big companies started to leave.
Almost all of the Americian companies down here were here because we had cheap & abundant energy which you did not till recient coal seam gas expansion so there is no need to be here.
Then PM Keating decided to apply some "tough love" by bringing in "World Parity Pricing" so all local companies had to pay "world" prices for all their inputs.
This was supposed to stimulate companies like Ford to spend millions upgrading their local plants to world class and that was never going to happen.
The Howard administration made a free trade pact with the USA which was supposed to open the US markets to Australia, just like the Mexico - USA free trade agreement made Mexico a powerhouse economy.
GM make a loss on every vehicle that rolled off the line but made a massive profit by providing all of the alloy castings for all GM products world wide save a few the US government paid GM to make in the USA.
We then machined these parts here and assembled nearly all of the engines world wide with parts supplied from other plants ( cranks , cams & valves came from the USA ).
As part of the Working Amercia plan, you current government loaned ( gave ) GM somthing like 1.54 billion to build a state of the art fully integrated alloy refinery, smelter , casting & machining plant. It will be opening in 2016 in Michigan, I am sure you will hear about it when it happens but not how it happened. Thus GM will leave Australia in 2016. Once GM goes Ford can leave because GM will loose any market advantage from being here.
As the auto industry winds down a lot of small engineering plants are shutting up shop because there is not enough general contact work here to keep them viable once the bread & butter auto work ceases.
Despite the Free Trade agreement the USA will still not alloy Aust to supply your auto industry with our world beating leather seats.

Then we have direct politics.
both of our major parties are conservative it is a very small movement from very conservative to racist.
The people who make the decisions are all wealthy highly educated white colar types so the not very Liberal party actively set out to destroy any industry that has a unionised workforce to deprive their opposition the Labour party of funding as the union movement bankrolls the Labout party.
The fact that it will make 1/3 of the population dose not worry them because the unemployed will not be them ot there family.

When the other lot get in ( labour) they throw money at anything that will employ unionised workers and do what ever they can to prevent high end automation which would remove unionised workers and thus the two sides are destroying the country and we will end up as the "White Trash of Asia". Or as something Americans can identify with another Jonestown.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I recall forum rules no politics or religion? or is that only USA politics?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Point taken.
Soap box returned under the stairs.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Small drills are difficult to sharpen by hand and they have a short life due to the "web" thickness . As you regrind you move into a thicker center section of the drill which reduces the cutting lip width. Without cutting lip the operator has to force the drill to discplace metal until the cutting lip is reached. Drill Doctor seems to have a good rep, but many people just replace drills smaller than 1/4".