2yr Update on my YTH 24K48 & starting 3rd already !

TnHusky

Threads
Well guy's it's been awhile, sorry for that. Just wanted to post a update on my ole Husky after 2yr's of service and 100 hr's on the clock. The Kohler engine still performs awesome, plenty of power when you need it and I think all of last year added maybe 6oz's of oil all together just to keep it on the full mark. I haven't had any issue's what-so-ever unless I caused them myself.
Remember how some people complained how they were spinning bad, well this makes the 3rd yr. I pulled a water filled roller over the yard to level the mole trenches down with no problem at all, this thing is as wide as the mower and is heavy filled up. I also just did my 3rd year service, you know, changing the oil, filter, AC and this time I changed plug's as well, had them but really didn't need to by looking at the one's that came out. Well really nothing to complain about at all, mow's great, moves fast and does what I ask it to do and more.
Just to add this little tidbit, I was at Tractor Supply yesterday and Cub Cadet had a deal where you could ride mowers and the Cub rep was there and he was showing me the new frame, said it was like a solid welded frame and had car like steering so I looked, no car steering at all. They only moved the gear from below to the top of the frame but it's just like my Husky but my deck is still beefier no doubt :thumbsup:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 2yr Update on my YTH 24K48 & starting 3rd already !
Thanks for the info . So you have the newest Kohler engine and like it, I guess?

TnHusky

Threads
Thanks for the info . So you have the newest Kohler engine and like it, I guess?

No, actually I bought mine a couple of years ago and mine has the Courage but I have no complaints at all. I have about 104 hrs now on the engine and it runs and performs like it was new. These engines have a lot of Tq and very hard to bog down, at least from my perspective. I also don't understand all these experts telling people to not buy a husky or something cheaper than say $2500 to $3000 because subpar mnfg. I'll agree the more you spend the more amenities you can get but if you can spend $1900 on a mower and it last 500 to 700 hrs then you got your money's worth I would think and some last longer than that. Anyway a little off the subject there but that would be 10 to 14 yrs for me on a mower.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I pretty much agree about expected life , but one must be lucky on the draw, and do very careful maintenance and oil monitoring . My Intek had a bad head , but once replaced and fitted with an oil cooler it has lasted over ten years. It wants to vibrate itself apart, and will run at a very high temp even with the cooler, but gets the job done. Source: Sears , about $1800 in 2004.

chobbs1957

Threads
Going into my 3rd season with my YTH21K46, single cylinder Courage. I've been pretty satisfied with the motor, as you say, lots of torgque and power, hard to bog down. I have a lot of thick bahiagrass that tries it. I did burn up and throw a belt once last season, taking one of the beltkeepers with it.

I have about 55 or so hours on it, changed the oil and filter twice but haven't caught it burning any oil yet. It cranks right up.

Our property is on a rural road corner, with a lengthy steep ditch on the state highway in front and an average banked ditch on the county maintained road on the other side. I do have to contend with some traction issues, but manage. I've considered rear weights - only thing Husqvarna recommends for my model - , wheel weights, and putting water in tires but have not done any of it yet. Once the three year frame warranty is out, I may try the water thing to add some weight to the tires.

My wife really enjoys running it as well. This is a home she inherited from her father when he passed away 2 1/2 years ago, our "getaway" home for a night or two, holidays, and vacation sometimes. My elderly father-in-law always struggled to keep used and old mowers going there. We both smile when we run the Husq and think about how comfortable it is and how easy it is to operate with the Hydrostatic transmission, a couple of things he would have enjoyed. Meanwhile, we like to believe that we honor him by keeping it mowed and pretty.

Well guy's it's been awhile, sorry for that. Just wanted to post a update on my ole Husky after 2yr's of service and 100 hr's on the clock. The Kohler engine still performs awesome, plenty of power when you need it and I think all of last year added maybe 6oz's of oil all together just to keep it on the full mark. I haven't had any issue's what-so-ever unless I caused them myself.
Remember how some people complained how they were spinning bad, well this makes the 3rd yr. I pulled a water filled roller over the yard to level the mole trenches down with no problem at all, this thing is as wide as the mower and is heavy filled up. I also just did my 3rd year service, you know, changing the oil, filter, AC and this time I changed plug's as well, had them but really didn't need to by looking at the one's that came out. Well really nothing to complain about at all, mow's great, moves fast and does what I ask it to do and more.
Just to add this little tidbit, I was at Tractor Supply yesterday and Cub Cadet had a deal where you could ride mowers and the Cub rep was there and he was showing me the new frame, said it was like a solid welded frame and had car like steering so I looked, no car steering at all. They only moved the gear from below to the top of the frame but it's just like my Husky but my deck is still beefier no doubt :thumbsup: