Where's the love for the HRC216PDA? Or, looking for updated info...

Eddie S

Threads
  • / Where's the love for the HRC216PDA? Or, looking for updated info...
Hello all. New member, first post.

I'm the relatively new owner of a new HRC216K3PDA. First, I have to say, I love this mower.

This is only the third mower I've ever purchased. I have (and occasionally use) my 25-year-old AYP-made Lawn Keeper (Rally) 22" push-only, rear bagger-only (no mulch or discharge), with 16" wire-spoked rears/8" steel fronts (now on it's second B&S Quantum engine), which I bought new; and, I have (and occasionally use) my 15-year-old AYP-made Craftsman 22" push-only, rear bagger/mulcher (no discharge), with 14" sealed-bearing plastic rears/8" plastic fronts (now on it's second Tecumseh TVS-115 engine), which I bought from a mower junk yard, and resurrected.

It's probably apparent I like push-only mowers. I also like manual control of my choke and throttle. I did a lot of searching before deciding on this mower. Called every dealership within reasonable range of me, and finally the 13th one I called had one in stock, 150 miles away. I took a chance (having never seen one in person), and drove to see it. Immediately, I knew this was what I was looking for, and is likely (in my opinion) the best push-only mower made today; however, the lack of current (or updated) info puzzles me.

When I purchased my mower, I also got a spare filter and spark plug. The parts counter fellow checked the database, and gave me an NGK BPR6ES. I get the mower home, and start pouring over the owner's manual. I notice it lists the BPR5ES plug only, and not the plug he gave me. I look on the mower, and it's got what the owner's manual states: the BPR5ES, again, not what the parts guy gave me. So, I'm thinking since my manual is a 2013 edition, the mower may be a model year or two old, and they've updated the plug to a cooler one (the BPR6ES). I get on Honda's parts page, and it lists the BPR6ES, the same plug the parts guy gave me, but not what's on the mower, or in the owner's manual. I get on other sites (like Jack's, RepairClinic, etc.), and they list the BPR6ES, as well. So, is the plug on the mower and the owner's manual wrong?

I try to find online owner's manuals of the GSV160, but am unable to find anything newer than 2009. It lists the BPR6ES for pressure washers, and the BPR5ES for everything else. I find an online memo from Honda regarding changing to the hotter BPR5ES on select GCV160s because of auto-choke-induced plug fouling. But I don't have an auto choke... so maybe they decided this engine didn't need the hotter plug after all... and changed to the cooler one, but I'm not sure...

So, I order a shop manual. It's supposed to list all updates and changes, and is supposed to be the most current info available for the HRC216K3PDA and GSV160; however, the K3 supplement is dated 2007, and there was only a few individual page updates, the latest one being 2009 (to the rear wheel assembly). And this manual only lists the BPR6ES. No mention of the plug change to the BPR5ES, which I think occurred sometime in 2009 (maybe?). Thinking I must be missing a shop update, or two (or more), I call Honda. After the fellow on the other end put me on hold several times, he finally just said, "What does your owner's manual state?" I tell him the BPR5ES. He says, "Go with that." He says there are no updates past what is in my shop manual. So, no changes after 2009. But, there must be. At a minimum, there's the plug change, right?

My issue isn't just with the plug. It's that the last info (seriously important info, like the shop info) published on this mower is from 2009. If the plug is the ONLY thing to change, OK. I can understand not publishing a shop manual page update immediately. But after six years? And it's not just the paper shop manual... the service center parts database hasn't been updated on this mower, either. Like I said, I love this mower, and I want it to last a VERY long time. I just wish there was the same care and attention to keeping up the parts database info, and the shop manuals, that has been put into this fine (and expensive) machine.

If anyone has any updated info on this mower, or the GSV160, past 2009, please send me a link or the info, so I can add it to my manual.

Thanks!

-Eddie

Threads
I think the reason there is not much info on it is because it is not that popular. Not saying it's not a good mower, just saying it only has a very specific market. It is a 102 pound PUSH mower. People who want a commercial Honda spend the extra money and get the HRC with self-propel. And people who want a mower without self propel usually won't spend $1000 on a mower. But that being said, the HRC model with self-propel is popular among the commercial guys, so if it stands up to the punishment they put it through, it will last you a long time! As for your question about the part number, I know the HRC mowers haven't had any major changes in a good bit, but I don't know how many years. Robert@Honda should reply to your post tomorrow and help you with that.
Keep us posted!!

Eddie S

Threads
Thanks, and yeah, I completely get that. The HRC216PDA wasn't my first choice. I was actually looking (for several months) for the HRR216PDA (still looking for manual choke and throttle). It was much more in my price range, but, there were none to be found. Even online. I considered getting the PKA (K8 version, to stay with the mulch plug and leaf shredder options, like the PDA), and just changing out/adding carburetor/linkage/cabling & lever when the warranty was out, to make it manual, but that model was hard to find, as well.

So, I did some serious thinking. I bought my first mower 25 years ago, when I was 25. Still have it, still use it. I have also maintained (and occasionally use) my late grandfather's 1963 Western Auto edger with its original 2hp B&S, as well as his 1973 McLane edger, with its original 2.5hp B&S, which I use regularly. Having just turned 50, I figured if I could keep my first mower going for 25 years (half my life), I wanted to purchase what would hopefully be the last mower I ever purchase, so I decided on seriously checking out the HRC (a 50th birthday present to myself).

During my research, I even called a guy at Mowers Direct. I asked about future availability of the HRC216PDA (as their site shows it discontinued). He said not likely, as it just wasn't a good seller. But I'm ok with that. I realize it's not for everyone. As far as I'm concerned, it only weighs a few pounds more than the 15- and 25-year-old all metal mowers I've been pushing around... but this one is several times the quality. No belt, driveshaft, transmission, blade clutch, or thermal choke mechanism to give me grief. Just a very well-built, solid mower. Now, if only the folks that keep up the parts database and shop manual info would appreciate it just as much...

-Eddie

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
There was a running change to many Honda mowers to go with the BPR5ES, as you say, to reduce fouling. Not all publications have been updated to reflect this change, but stick with the BPR5ES. I will let the Service Communications (publications) and Parts Division know of this issue, and request them to update the appropriate materials.

No plans to discontinue the HRC216PDA at this time. While it is not the #1 model for sales, it has been a steady seller, and remains in demand by professionals and some homeowners alike. That said, some dealers may elect not to stock it, but it remains an active model for Honda.

FYI, Honda mowers and publications do not have "model years." Honda mowers have revision codes called K-numbers. The very first version of a model is called a K0, and then when there are changes, it bumps to a K1, K2, K3, and so on. A change in K-number may take years or even a few months. In the special case of the HRC216PDA, it was launched at the same time as the HRC215HXA(K2) was introduced, so the PDA model also started with a K2 number instead of a K0. The most current PDA is a K3, and it has been in production for a few years now.

Publications are always marked with the K-code on the cover (front or back) Ignore the copyright date; this date is when the document was printed, and not necessarily when the mower was manufactured.

Thanks for being a Honda fan. Drop me your email in a private message and I've got a few Honda goodies I'll send your way.

Eddie S

Threads
Thanks for that info, Robert. Nice to know some of the background on my mower! I will stick with the plug you've recommended, and will be less anal regarding the dates! Sending you a PM, also...

-Eddie