Honda hrg536c5

gray70

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I have a NRG 536 and its now having problems pulling backwards. I have replaced the clutch cable, the thrust washers on the wheels and cleaned and decreased the bearings. any help or advise is gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bearings need grease to function properly, visually inspect them for wear as well as spinning them by hand, ball bearings missing? if so replace bearings & make sure they have plenty of grease. Also check for play in bearing cage, if sloppy replace.

If mower works fine in all forward speeds transmission is fine, purchase a can of Liquid Wrench brand spray lubricating oil or equivalent and spray all moving parts, back axle, inside wheels, cables, carburetor linkages, etc.

Last edited:

gray70

Forum Newbie
Threads
All the bearing are fine and greased. I'm thinking more of a transmission issue?.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all. I have a NRG 536 and its now having problems pulling backwards. I have replaced the clutch cable, the thrust washers on the wheels and cleaned and decreased the bearings. any help or advise is gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Is your mower a single-speed, or variable-speed control? Does it have the SmartDrive "paddle" control or just a single black wire type drive clutch lever?

8d3486bba6162d91cf34584a474f0751.jpg

honda_rasenmaeher_hrg_536c_vke.jpg

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The transmission lever on the gearbox where you fitted the cable will not be returning all the way back to its stop which is slightly engaging the internal of the box.
Its quite a common fault on the 21s.
If you push it manually back with your hand then you may notice the difference.

If it is then to repair it is easier with transmission assy right out.
WD40 on the lever and keep moving back and forth and it should free off.
Dont remove the 10mm bolt as they usually snap and you would then have to weld the lever to secure.

Also it could be the transmission shaft plastic bushes are dry.
Remove the wheels and pinions.
Undo the circlips and push the box back and forward on the shafts.
Clean with emery paper, lubricate and refit.
Good luck.