No More Oil Changes for Briggs & Stratton Engines!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am not disagreeing with you on oil changes if that is what you believe in. Where I live I find that changing oil isn't going to happen for the average city type person. I really think this is a very good idea for Briggs and the type of person that isn't going to change the oil anyways. Nothing is said you can't change the oil if you want to, so just change it. I have been using the 100:1 oil mix in all my 2 cycle engines for years now without any problems only I use Amsoil. I won't get into how many miles or hours I change my oil because we would be disagreeing on that one and we won't change each others mine so why try. Oil has come a long ways since I started working on cars. Yes I also have been a mechanic all my working years and still doing it part time now that I am in my mid 70's.

Yes Oils have come a long way but they still pick up particulates and still go acid.
It is the metallurgy that really makes the difference, followed by advances in maching that allows for closer & tighter production tolerances.
As for 2 strokes, Victa recommended 25:1 back in 1954 when the oil used was BP Energol.
They still recommend 25:1 but I put 50:1 in every thing using Stens 2 stroke oil and have seen no problems to date.
I would think of going leaner but too many engines have fixed jettings so by the time you get to 100:1 the fuel mix would be getting a lot thinner so running rich and getting a clean burning plug now days is hard enough as it is with the rubbish sold as "fuel".
Had this problem in the 70's with a JAWA motorcycle that was jetted for 8:1.
Ended up running it on 25:1 but had to replace the carb.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like my neighbor down the way, I mentioned this to him today, & he told me his 8 yr old push mower still has the original oil (black goo) in it.. :laughing:

QUOTE]

Believe me it's more then the neighbor down the way that do this. They don't even have a pan to catch the old oil in. Then on top of that they don't own a grease gun. Then then they cry when they have to take the mower to a shop to replace a blade spindle for 200 dollars.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I posted some additional info on this engine in the equipment news section. But the thing with no oil changes will be dependent on proper air filter, and spark plug maintenance.

So from a repair shop standpoint this engine changes nothing. Since the people that don't maintain there oil now also don't maintain the air filter. Dirty air filters will be the killer of this engine as well as the oil, which will need changed due to dirt contamination.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like my neighbor down the way, I mentioned this to him today, & he told me his 8 yr old push mower still has the original oil (black goo) in it.. :laughing:

Believe me it's more then the neighbor down the way that do this. They don't even have a pan to catch the old oil in. Then on top of that they don't own a grease gun. Then then they cry when they have to take the mower to a shop to replace a blade spindle for 200 dollars.

That is the truth in a nutshell Sir...

To me oil & grease are about the cheapest costs to invest in to keep em right..

Michael72

Threads
The amount of mowers I see that have never seen fresh oil is unbelievable.... they know it needs it...but will give some to the car but thats it...then you have to listen to moanathon about how expensive new mowers are :confused2: I change mower oil 3 times a year for what it costs.. I cannot comprehend folks lack of attention to any machine! :rolleyes:

I'll be sticking to my oil machines but im sure it will have appeal to those that already think lawnmower engines dont need any oil! :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The amount of mowers I see that have never seen fresh oil is unbelievable.... they know it needs it...but will give some to the car but thats it...then you have to listen to moanathon about how expensive new mowers are :confused2: I change mower oil 3 times a year for what it costs.. I cannot comprehend folks lack of attention to any machine! :rolleyes:

I'll be sticking to my oil machines but im sure it will have appeal to those that already think lawnmower engines dont need any oil! :)

I fixed that about 3 months into the business.
A friend sells old advertisements so I got him to do a blow up of a 1959 Victa 18 ( my dads first petrol mower ), which hangs in a prominent place in the shop.
I tell them this was the first petrol mower I ever repaired then draw their attention the the price which was 35 guines
and the retailer was offering 2,3 or 5 years "easy repayments".
Kills the wallet wailing stone dead.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I fixed that about 3 months into the business.
A friend sells old advertisements so I got him to do a blow up of a 1959 Victa 18 ( my dads first petrol mower ), which hangs in a prominent place in the shop.
I tell them this was the first petrol mower I ever repaired then draw their attention the the price which was 35 guines
and the retailer was offering 2,3 or 5 years "easy repayments".
Kills the wallet wailing stone dead.

:thumbsup: That'll do it, for sure...

Mikel1

Threads
My father doesn't change oil or oil filter in his riding mowers ever, also don't think he changes it in his atvs. I have told him at least five times this month that if he bought the oil and filter that I would do it. Still no response, I give up. I imagine there are lots of people like this.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My father doesn't change oil or oil filter in his riding mowers ever, also don't think he changes it in his atvs. I have told him at least five times this month that if he bought the oil and filter that I would do it. Still no response, I give up. I imagine there are lots of people like this.

I could name a few..

Rokon

Threads
This has been tried before. 'Vapoorize, Don't scoop the poop'